inTank Media Baskets

Anyone use the Aquaclear 70 for BC29?

bioload

I want to increase circulation through the back chambers of my BC29 HQI. Anyone tried the Aquaclear for the return pump? I think it would fit in chamber3 and the 70 is rated at 400gph.I've always thought they were dependable pumps when I've used them before.

why do you want to increase circulation in the back. the slower it goes the more contact it will have with chaeto/chemi-pure or anything else you have back there.

why do you want to increase circulation in the back. the slower it goes the more contact it will have with chaeto/chemi-pure or anything else you have back there.

Having probs with surface film....figured a stronger pump would be able to increase the surface skimming and get rid of that....I've tried aiming powerheads at the surface and such but it keeps coming back. I've got a sunrise dottyback in there who has dug a tunnel and keeps stirring up the substrate which is part of the issue.

what pumps are you running in the tank? anything other than the stock ones?

Have a nanostream 6015 and 2 koralia 425's. Using a MJ 900 for return now....my MJ1200 quit on me so I switched to a 900 I had available, but the 1200 didn't seem to do much more.So plenty of flow overall.

hmmmm. what are you running the back chamber? any poly fill?

and a pic of the tank might help.

Floss and chemipure. The nanostream is near the surface intake and must be interfering with surface skimming but I've had it there for a while and the problem just started in last couple weeks.This is the best pic I've got right now, but you can see the nanostreams location.

IMG_1101.jpg

my best guess would be the nanostream is pushing the surface film away from the overflow.

other than that. tank looks damn good. what lights do you have?

my best guess would be the nanostream is pushing the surface film away from the overflow.

other than that. tank looks damn good. what lights do you have?

Thanks...I'm gonna have to do some repositioning or something with the pumps this weekend, but this configuration gives me good flow everywhere. Maybe I need to spring for an mp10?

The lighting is 150w Phoenix 14K HQI with a stunner strip mounted on the front and back of the coralife clamp on fixture that comes with the BC 29 HQI package.Couple more pics:

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

looks good. and i recommend the mp10. i had so many pumps in the tank it just got crazy. love my mp10. my buddy just ordered one and love it.

if you can i would recommend it.

looks good. and i recommend the mp10. i had so many pumps in the tank it just got crazy. love my mp10. my buddy just ordered one and love it.

if you can i would recommend it.

Just checked your tank thread.....very very nice!!! Do you use just the mp10 and thats enough to cover the entire tank? You think it would be enough for a mostly sps tank like mine? Would be great to have just one pump in there.

Thanks for the help.

thanks, yeah just the mp10. and i dont have it turned up that much but yeah you would be fine with sps. once i transfer everything over to my 40b that will be what im using in there also.

thanks, yeah just the mp10. and i dont have it turned up that much but yeah you would be fine with sps. once i transfer everything over to my 40b that will be what im using in there also.

Well this turned into an expensive thread :D Instead of a 40 dollar pump I just ordered the mp10...early happy birhtday to myself (2mo early)...should arrive by the weekend so will have plenty of time to play with it.

Any tips tricks etc for this new toy?

well happy early birthday. you will love it i promise. now you can sell your other pumps and recoop some of the cost.

just read the manual. there are so many things you can do with it its crazy. there is a night mode, feeding mode. and most people either run it reef crest of short pulse. i would try and put it in the upper corner towards the front of the tank to allow for maximum circulation.

yeah im thinking about ordering a RKL for my 40b early bday present also(11months early).

sorry i persuaded you. ;)

well happy early birthday. you will love it i promise. now you can sell your other pumps and recoop some of the cost.

yeah im thinking about ordering a RKL for my 40b early bday present also(11months early).

sorry i persuaded you. ;)

Order the RKL immediately. You know you MUST have it! B)

hahahaha ya i know. but the wife would kill me. maybe after tax returns. let me know when you get the mp10 in.

I ordered from Foster and Smith and according to the tracking no. it will be here by 3pm today!....I'm impressed.

As far as the wife, do what I did.....buy her something nice and then a couple days later order the RKL.How could she complain then? :D Being the good husband I am,my wife was just was hinting around for something and I handed her my c.c. and said order it, you deserve it....only good things will come from that.I wasn't planning on getting the mp10 until you talked me into it, but it all worked out.

Anyway I will let you know what I think of it when I get time to hook it up. In the meantime I'm gonna check out your 40 build thread which I haven,t done yet.....if its anything like your other tank it should be awesome.

you are a very smart man. i like your style.

and thanks. do you have a thread for your tank?

No, the 29 HQI is almost a year old and the 14 is older than that.I just rejoined this forum fairly recently and REEF Central after a long hiatus. I had a 180g sps and a 120g softy tank which took up way too much of my time. I unfortunately (in retrospect) took everything down and sold everything. Of course I decided I had to have a reef again and thought the all in one tanks would be alot simpler to maintain and set up than those huge tanks with 75gal sumps etc. Started with the 14g and then saw the 29 HQI and my sps fever started all over again.

If theres anything you want to know about my tank or pics whatever let me know. Be glad to help if I can.

looking at the hqi myself. Do you have any heat issues?

I have a small fan that blows between the light and the glass canopy(which I use)...just gets that hot air away from the tank. This time of year NP whatsoever....stays right about 79 which is where I want it. In the summer you will most likely need A/C which I have so no problems then either.I live in Michigan and even here on those hot humid days without a/c or a chiller I think you will have heat issues.I probably kept my a/c on more than normal because of it.

no, my wife is from MI. she grew up in freeland/saginaw area.

You've got to be kidding me!! My wife is from Saginaw!!!Her whole family is still there. She went to MSU and never returned....thanks to me. Small world as they say.

Archived