Top Shelf Aquatics

How far above water should I hang my Mh pendant?

wienerdog

I have a 20 long and am replacing my PC's with a MH pendant (that I have yet to buy) still deciding on which seller. My question is ...How far up off the water should I start with this light. The 20 long is very shallow.....And do I have to acclimate my existing stock to the light? for example starting the light very high and slowly or daily dropping the light a few inches until it has reached it's ultimate spot. will a pendant cover the entire tank? Most of my softie and LPS's are in the middle of my tank anyway. BTW, I think I'd like to go with a 14k....

That's a major jump in light output. I would start the fixture 12-18" over the tank, and very slowly lower it over the course of a few weeks. If you can't raise it that high, then use layers of window screen to reduce the intensity.

You can do that or use window screen and just start with it on for a couple hours and each day let it on for 30 minutes or so extra till u find your lighting cycle. I run my halide for 8.5 and t5s for 12. My halide is about 7" from the surface

i had a 175 over my 20 long. and i started at 12" high and a layer of screen. then removed the screen after a few days. then over a few weeks kept lowering it. eventually i stopped at roughly 7". BTW i was using a 14k aquamax, which i recommend for the price

Archived