inTank Media Baskets

Green Bulbs on my Rock?

ImSuperDavid

Bad...this is bubble algae and it can take over in a hurry. Get your phosphates & nitrates checked. BTW, the 2 primary sources of phosphates are overfeeding and your water source. Check the phosphates on your source water for the tank.

If the algae is not out of control already, emerald crabs (at least certain varieties) will eat the stuff. You can also pick the stuff off the rock, just be careful not to break the bubbles.

It's called valonia algae, and looks like little green metallic emerald bubbles. It's a macro-algae that grows and spreads quickly. The problem with it, is that it tends to irritate and crowd out corals, which isn't a good thing. It is beautiful, but that's part of it's seductive nature.

Popping the bubbles (like scrubbing them off) will cause them to release new spores, thus spreading it that much more quickly in your tank. The best eco-safe solution is to add a mithrax crab (green emerald crab) to your tank as a new janitor. They will feast on macro-algaes and love to eat valonia, and are considered reef safe.

Originally posted by ImSuperDavid

I got green Bubbles on my rock and growing...is that good or bad?

Those are called Luck Berries. They're green because their in the same genus as shamrocks. The ancient eskimos thought it was good luck to pop them and squirt them at people.

Or

I could be completely wrong.

Archived