SaltCritters.com

Need some advice on stocking a 45 gallon

pimp4cheddar

HEY FOLKS!!!

Well I just brought a 45 gallon rimless tank about a month ago...and it's time to start stocking.

Quick rundown of the tank:

Rimless

1/2'' Glass

Black Silicone

36x18x16 (LxWxH)

Aquamedic 4-bulb T5 unit

2 paired clownfish

1 firefish

I'm looking to go mainly SPS with this tank...but I also want to go fish heavy.

I need some advice on very nice fish.

I have 2 Clowns and 1 Firefish. I'd like about 4-5 more fish (small fish...no tangs).

I'd also like a fish that will sift through my sand...I'm aiming at a Golden Head Sleeper Goby.

Let's see what you would aim for!!!

Okay...I think I have the entire list:

1x Perc (clownfish)

1x Onyx Perc (clownfish)

1x Firefish

1x Yasha Goby w/ Pistol Shrimp

1x Dragonface Pipefish

1x Neon Goby (to clean other fish)

1x Golden Head Sleeper Goby (love watching the sand fall through their gills)

1x Small Wrasse (maybe)

I figured all of these fish are hardy and very peaceful. They will all hang around different spots (gobies = sand bed, clowns = top of tank).

Any thougths?

1x Perc (clownfish)

1x Onyx Perc (clownfish)

1x Firefish

1x Dragonface Pipefish

1x Small Wrasse (maybe)

I figured all of these fish are hardy and very peaceful. They will all hang around different spots (gobies = sand bed, clowns = top of tank).

Any thougths?

I honestly wouldn't recommend the Dragonface pipefish or the Golden head sleeper goby. Any sort of pipefish is going to be difficult to work with. They're really neat fish, but read everything you can about them. The sleeper goby I wouldn't recommend because of two reasons. One, that size tank probably won't have enough food for it built up to maintain it as many sleeper gobies won't take prepared food. The second reason is that if you're running a proper SPS system with tons of flow they're going to be little sandstorm generators. They'll coat your bottom layer of coral in sand.

I honestly wouldn't recommend the Dragonface pipefish or the Golden head sleeper goby. Any sort of pipefish is going to be difficult to work with. They're really neat fish, but read everything you can about them. The sleeper goby I wouldn't recommend because of two reasons. One, that size tank probably won't have enough food for it built up to maintain it as many sleeper gobies won't take prepared food. The second reason is that if you're running a proper SPS system with tons of flow they're going to be little sandstorm generators. They'll coat your bottom layer of coral in sand.

I've read the Pipefish are hard to take care of...and it would have been my last fish.

I never really thought about the Sleeper Head being an issue...but I guess your right. DAMN IT...I really want a sand sifter...

Any other thoughts?

I'm still completely open to ideas...

I'm basically looking for cool, colorful and unique fish.

Hmm... Blackcap basslet, Chalk Bass, swissguard basslet, Striped Blenny, canary blenny, various sailfin blennies, flameback angelfish (w/ caution), pygmy angelfish (w/caution), orange-lined cardinalfish, long-spined cardinalfish, springeri dottyback, fridemi dottybacks, longnose hawkfish, and various flasher and possum wrasses are all good choices for an SPS 45 gallon tank.

animalmaster6
1x Perc (clownfish)

1x Onyx Perc (clownfish)

1x Firefish

1x Dragonface Pipefish

1x Small Wrasse (maybe)

The clowns, firefish, goby/shrimp pair, neon goby, and small wrasse work great.

The Dragonface Pipefish needs low flow, a ginormous microfauna population, and a large refugium to aid the microfauna population.

That species of sleeper goby gets to 6 inches. :) Not a good choice.

Yellow Assessors are great. For the small wrasse maybe a possum, fairy, or flasher wrasse? I would love to help you with any specific species :)

• 8 years later...

I have a 45 gallon and wanted to do 

2xPurple firefish

1xFlame angel

1xRoyal gramma 

1xManderin 

1xSand shifter goby 

2xClownfish

Is that to much?

Btw I'm a beginner at this. My tank has been cycling for 10 days now and no longer any signs on nitrite. Ammonia is about .25 , nitrate is between 20-40.. the ph about 8.0 

So am I at the end of my tank cycle? 

And no, none of these fish are in the tank...

firefish will fight unless mated pair - may or may not get picked on since your other fish are mostly semi aggressive 

Flame is ok, sometimes picks at corals

Royal gramma ok

Mandarin needs a special diet/care to thrive, do better in mature 'dirtier' tanks

Sand sifter is a maybe, they get big and can bury and kill corals on the sandbed, long term survival is questionable due to limited microfauna in a nano's sandbed

I would stick to occys or perc for clowns but they are fine

Stocking depends on the maturity of your tank, filtration, luck of the draw, and whether your fish decide they will get along or not. 

9 hours ago, Priscila said:

I have a 45 gallon and wanted to do 

2xPurple firefish

1xFlame angel

1xRoyal gramma 

1xManderin 

1xSand shifter goby 

2xClownfish

Is that to much?

Btw I'm a beginner at this. My tank has been cycling for 10 days now and no longer any signs on nitrite. Ammonia is about .25 , nitrate is between 20-40.. the ph about 8.0 

So am I at the end of my tank cycle? 

And no, none of these fish are in the tank...

On 1/25/2011 at 7:02 AM, pimp4cheddar said:

1x Perc (clownfish)

1x Onyx Perc (clownfish)

1x Firefish

1x Dragonface Pipefish

1x Small Wrasse (maybe)

Any thougths?

wrasse could be risky. itll most likely decimate microfauna populations which could be a problem for the pipefish. what about a pyjama cardinal?