inTank Media Baskets

Opinion- use my 30gal cube or buy new?

J-Rod

Oh man, it's a newbie :

I came across the site because I'm researching getting into a SW aquarium of some sort. I saw Gil Mora's nano in the featured section and was uttlery amazed!! I've got the bug now...

I currently have a 55gal FW tank and have been keeping FW tanks since I was 11 y/o, which has been 14 yrs now. Similiar to most I was afraid to get into SW because of the rumors of complexity etc. Okay to get to my point.. :happy:

I recently recieved a black Oceanaic 30 gal "cube" tank and stand It's been sitting idol because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. My options were to attempt SW (a FOWLR at first then possibly a reef with beginner corals etc.) or to go with a chiclid tank.

If you were in my shoes and starting from scratch what would you do? Would you use the 30gal cube to create a nano or would you go with a 12 gal nano system like the Eclipse or JBJ? Money is not my top priority but obviously I don't want to get out of hand. I also realize the cube's aren't the best for stocking numerous fish. My goal right now is to have 2 Ocellaris and a Royal Gamma. The only hardware I have is the tank/stand, an AC 200 and a Ebo Jager 150 watt heater. I also have 2 SW books on their way to the house so I can read up before doning anything.

Throw out some thoughts... I'm open for anything.

TheCurriculum

Your best bet is to do some reading here on this site and over at reefcentral

Start here with the begginer articles (has some good info you will want)

As far as going from a FOWLR to a Coral tank. You will have to make some $$ decesions up front. The lighting required for a FOWLR is moot compared to a coral tank.

If you want corals 5w-8w minimum. 30 gallon = 150w minimum. This will allow you to keep some zoo's and some shrooms but with slow growth (no hard corals)

Coral Tank you are going to need your flow to be 10x the water volume. So at least 300gph. You will want to do this with more then one power head to get multiple currents in the tank.

Do some searches on 30g tanks here and at reefcentral. See how they have the tanks setup so you can get an idea of what all you will need.

Click here to begin your search or use the search in the top right hand corner :wizard:

That Oceanic cube screams to be a reef tank. Very attractive . Do it. I double dare ya ...

Realize that reefing is a process, and a slow one, and you will be just fine. The fish that you have selected are ideal for the 30, my personal opinion is that 3 fish of that size in 12 - to start off with, is an invitation to frustration.

Definitely utilize your resources, such as this site, do a search on "cube" you are bound to come up with some Oceanic setups along with all of the other nano-cubes out there.

Pick up any of the myriad books by John Tullock, or Eric Borneman.

Go for the 30 gallon reef - you know you want to ...

Let me develop a rough analaogy for you. Doing a FOWLR tank is the equivalent of doing a combination dutch style planted tank with a discus tank as far as level of complexity. Think of a LR tank as roughly as complex as a well planted FW tank. Basically, you need a good substrate, good LR (or good plants) and a good amount of the right spectrum of light over the tank.

SW fish can be tough as green terrors or Pseudotropheus aff. zebras (damselfish, triggers) or as delicate as South American discus (SW angelfish). Know that most SW fish attractive to the aquarium trade are found on the reef, which means most SW fish are as territorial as rift lake cichlids. Even little 2" damselfish will beat a newcomber, even a much larger fish, into submission.

Now, if you want to contemplate doing a reef tank, multiply your complexity X 2 because now you have to cope with nitrate reduction. In a FOWLR tank, you can get away with appalingly high nitrate levels, but corals don't like nitrate much over 10 ppm. Coral reefs are nutrient poor environments, where as your enclosed reef isn't.

Now, if you want to do a nano-reef, you'll have less water to play with, which means nitrates (and other water quality problems) will build up that much faster.

IMHO, if this is your first attempt at SW tanks, ask yourself if you want to keep zome hardy corals with no fish at all, or whether you want a SW tank with brightly colored fish. If you're leaning towards the fish, go with the FOWLR tank as a first choice. If you want a coral tank, forget about fish (focus on the needs of inverts you'd like to keep) and read up everything that you can on reef keeping.

You can do it, but it takes homework, patience and a lot of trial and error. A nice FOWLR tank can be just as beautiful as a reef tank if done correctly, and with less headache.

Thanks for the great info!!

First off, I know all about the search feature... I don't intend on loading up the forum with questions that are common. I moderate a fairly large forum so I know the ropes. ;)

Aiptasia, thanks for all the info. I do plan on taking this slow and learning all I can before jumping into having a tank (I wont do anything until reading a few books and searching like a fool on forums). I just wanted suggestions on what you guys would do... the cube or a JBJ nano. From what I've gathered from searching on here and RC I'll be able to come up with something when concidering $$ and effort.

Archived