Innovative Marine Aquariums

salt to water ratio

imsuperjp

Currently i buy my saltwater but now im interested in mixing my own. I wish to make it in 5 gallon quantities and to buy the salt in bulk to save money. Does anyone know how many measuring cups per gallon to add for a sg of 1.023? Also, what is the best brand of salt mix and is there any special instructions i need befor attempting to mix my own?

0.5 cups per 1 US Gallon. This will give you a SG of 1.023 or so. Always check tho before you add it to your tank. Also, keep your self-mixed water circulated and try to match your tank temp.

I’ve been using Instant Ocean salts for 5 years and have had no trouble. I do not dose anything, but I also do not keep SPS. (yet :) )

The amount of dry salt mix per gallon of water is different for each brand. There is a simple procedure for determining the amount of salt mix per gallon and that is called reading the instructions on the package.

who woulda thunk

There's even an easier method, it's called buying a hydrometer..

Each sea salt mix has different instructions and formulas, so a "cup vs. gallon" ratio is a moot point at best. Also, it's doing to depend on the quality of the water you use. I'd always suggest using steam distilled, RO/DI or RO water (in that order) over using tap water, because tap water has a lot of junk in it. What's safe for human consumption isn't safe for invertebrate consumption, and tap water can contain nitrates, sulfates, silicates and metals that are safe for people to drink, but not safe for corals at all.

Most reef keepers buy their water, or break down and shill out the $80-400 for an RO/DI unit. A bare bones Kent marine RO/DI unit can even be hooked up to a garden hose (or python no-spill hose) and will filter out 95%-98% of the crap in your average tap water.

Anyway, go buy a glass or plastic hydrometer and follow the instructions. Remember that sea salt mixes usually need to be mixed at 75-80 degrees, and if you properly use a hydrometer, you'll always know how much salt (or water) to add and/or subtract.

[rant]That's very helpful Fant, "read the directions”. brilliant, that is. If you are not interested in helping beginners, then don't post to the Beginners Discussion forum.[/rant]

Yes imsuperjp, always use a hydrometer to test the water before you add it to your tank. (This goes for ANY SW you add, be it purchased, natural, or self-mixed). While there may be some very small differences in the density of the various commercial brands of sea salt, I still believe you would be safe STARTING with 0.5 cups per 1 US gallon. That will put you close. After it has been mixed well – test it. If the SG is high, add RO/DI. If low add IO (or whatever brand you use).

Archived