Pod Your Reef

Lighting opinion..

KansasCoral-Nu-B

KansasCoral-Nu-B

Okay, first timer here.. and would like some opinions. looks as if i'm going DIY with my lighting. I'm going 10g and thought i knew what my plan was for lighting. but.... i am positive that im seriously under when it comes to watts. I was picking up a few supplies yesterday and purchase a cheapy 10g tank with incandescent hood. so i went on over to my local salt water store and saw a few nano tanks already running w/regular hoods. i looked and they were running 2 10w 50/50 mini-PC. so i bought 2 because they said they were equal to a 50w incandescent light, thinking 100w total of power.. well i have serious doubts that this will do me or any possible future reef any good. so i'm looking to add a MH. So guess my real question here is.. a.) Will one of these lights work? http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productLis...ort=noSelection

i'm pretty sure it will but i've read a lot about having to add a ballast. my question is why do i need a ballast? if i hook the HID into my house wiring to mount outside i dont need a ballast, just a switch. so why do i need a ballast over the tank?? and could i use a dimmer to simulate morn/dusk

Originally posted by KansasCoral-Nu-B

Okay, first timer here..

if i hook the HID into my house wiring to mount outside i dont need a ballast, just a switch. so why do i need a ballast over the tank?? and could i use a dimmer to simulate morn/dusk

if you hooked it up the way you said above, it won't light up...not w/o the ballast...must have a ballast! think of the ballast as an amplifier.

no dimmer switch on MH...big no no.

Archived