Cultivated Reef

Help With Salinity

rossruffino

Ok, so for the past week my salinity has been dropping, due to fine tuning my Protein Skimmer. It was pulling overly-wet skimmate. I calibrated my refrac. this morning and it read 1.021. I'm planning on keep corals and I'm under the impression that 1.025-.026 is optimum. I'm going to use ASW for top-off, but my true question is what salinity do I want the top-off to be? I have a JBJ 28g Nano and my top-off is maybe a cup a day, I was thinking of using 1.030 in small amounts to top off, Is this too high?

qwiksilver711
Ok, so for the past week my salinity has been dropping, due to fine tuning my Protein Skimmer. It was pulling overly-wet skimmate. I calibrated my refrac. this morning and it read 1.021. I'm planning on keep corals and I'm under the impression that 1.025-.026 is optimum. I'm going to use ASW for top-off, but my true question is what salinity do I want the top-off to be? I have a JBJ 28g Nano and my top-off is maybe a cup a day, I was thinking of using 1.030 in small amounts to top off, Is this too high?

no that would be fine, just keep an eye on the salinity of the main tank, and once it hits the magic number start using regular water for top off

edit: damn, u been a member since 03? rock on, dont see that very often

You don't want your top off water to have any salt in it at all. Just use pure RODI water for top off.

The reason is because top of is to replace water that has evaporated. When water evaporates the salt stays in your tank. What happens it the salinity in your tank will go up as water evaporates out of your tank. So you want to replace the evap water with the same amount of fresh water hence keeping your tank salinity stable for the most part.

qwiksilver711
You don't want your top off water to have any salt in it at all. Just use pure RODI water for top off.

The reason is because top of is to replace water that has evaporated. When water evaporates the salt stays in your tank. What happens it the salinity in your tank will go up as water evaporates out of your tank. So you want to replace the evap water with the same amount of fresh water hence keeping your tank salinity stable for the most part.

did you even read the post? his salinity is low, so you would then top off with salt water to bring the salinity up, using your thought that when water evaps the salt stays in, and it would bring the salinity up... serously?

did you even read the post? his salinity is low, so you would then top off with salt water to bring the salinity up, using your thought that when water evaps the salt stays in, and it would bring the salinity up... serously?

Apparently he didn't! Anyways yeah I joined back in "03 when I had my original Nano Cube 12's and I left the game for awhile but I'm back. I'm just a bit foggy on how I did things before. It was my early 20's, and you know how that can go!

qwiksilver711
Apparently he didn't! Anyways yeah I joined back in "03 when I had my original Nano Cube 12's and I left the game for awhile but I'm back. I'm just a bit foggy on how I did things before. It was my early 20's, and you know how that can go!

yeah, i'm in my early 20's at the moment, so i know how it is lol. but my tank is my baby... its sad when my wife refers to it as my girlfriend because i'm either messing with it, or on here

yeah, i'm in my early 20's at the moment, so i know how it is lol. but my tank is my baby... its sad when my wife refers to it as my girlfriend because i'm either messing with it, or on here

Yeah the tanks grow on you and become part of us somehow! Fortunately, mine understands the fascination!

Archived