SaltCritters.com

Some DIY lighting questions, and a few newbie questions =)

Laeelin

I'm setting up a DIY hood for a 10 gallon.

I'm planning on having 6 X 19w 6500k PC's, and at some point in the future, upgrading the lights to higher end PC's (10,000k, 50/50, ect) ..

My current plan is to make a 2 X 4 'inner" frame that holds the lights, and to then have an additional ~2 or 3 inches, then the top would be a mirror, and the inside tinfoiled to help reflect the light back down.

The bottom of the hood would have a glass shield to protect the lights.

hoodplans.gif

See this post for more information on what I'm trying to do.

1) How much cooling would I need in hood? .. Could I get away with just a screened airhole, or do I need a fan? (or two?)

2) How far off the tank should I place the lights? Should I have them as close to the water as possible(while shielded naturally)? .. should they be at the top or the bottom of the hood?

3) Are the better lights (the 10,000k, 50/50, ect) available in standard socket versions?

4) Do these lights help the look of the tank till I can upgrade the lighting?

was just about to say that coralife makes those, clearblue beat me to the punch ;) ... I'd definately go for those rather than curlies since they have actinic supplementation and a higher kelvin rating. Otherwise I'd put some actinic in with those curlies.

The lights can be close to the water, just make sure they are shielded with a glass or the like. I's also suggest using at least one fan to pull hot air out of the hood...

i just finished a hood for a tank like yours with curlies and coralifes, and if I were you, I'd alternate bulbs. 19watt6500K, 20watt50/50, 19watt6500K, etc.

Archived