SaltCritters.com

sump question

fmfa0801

What would be the min size refugium you would use for a 50g tank? Any DIY with using a glass tank and adding baffles or how far apart to place the baffles and where?

What would be the min size refugium you would use for a 50g tank? Any DIY with using a glass tank and adding baffles or how far apart to place the baffles and where?

Doesn't matter what size the refugium is. You can run a small half gallon tub on the side of your tank and it would still work as a refugium. As long as it is seperated from your display tank and has no predators so microlife like pods can flourish, you are good to go.

No clue about the baffles. Like i said, it doesn't matter how large the area for the fuge is, so i guess you can put the baffles anywhere. Just look around for sump diagrams and look at other peoples sumps that have refugiums as a guide. That's what i did and my refugium came out great and worked perfectly.

CoralWhisperer

There is no minimum.

I hate when people ask what the minimum for ANYTHING is . . .

Go as big as money and space will allow, bigger IS better because, especially with a sump/fuge, it adds water volume to your system.

The only minimal requirement is to allow your equipment to fit where you want it, but . . .

example

if your skimmer is 8 inches wide, and you keep it in a space that is 8.5 inches wide, your gonna have problems when it comes to maintenence, get it?

Archived