ReefCleaners.org

Feedback on new setup... poor man's nano

jred

Hi, I am looking for feed back on my first nano setup... it was put together using pieces of past tanks, so please go easy as I consider it an experiment in progress... thanks.

20g long tank with old skilter hob, no skimmer

the skilter has been drilled to provide overflow using 1 inch PVC to a 5 gallon tank refugium in the stand.

Water is taken up from refugium via a canister filter with only filter material and valves to control water flow on return to the tank.

2 55W PC one 10,000k and one actinic

2 inches southdown sand in main tank, 1 inch crushed shells in refugium

Just added 45 lbs of live rock tonight, but may remove a few pieces this weekend.

I used to have a 60G with a HOB skimmer and am now getting nervous about not using a skimmer on the new setup and also as it is my first plumbing attempt for the refugia.

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice!

Smokin-Reefer

the only thing that worries me is, what if the hob gets clogged/poops out and the water stops flowing into the bulkhead, and the return from the fuge continues to push water to the tank and overflows it?

Reefer Budhha Makes cpr hob knock-off fuge's for prices that apperantly can't be beat. It may be worth it to talk to him, and make your tank, and your house, that much safer.

hth.

Thanks for the input!

yep, I worried about that too... I solved the issue by inverting my intakes so when water levels get too low they suck air and not water. Also I have measured the water level and know the limits of each tank when one or the other pumps shuts off or gets clogged. Each test at the measured levels has not flooded either tank. The only issue is that the refugium runs at about half full, but it is going to be for calupera growth only.

Do you still think that there will be problems?

Archived