Selcon/Zoecon

DT's live Phytoplankton

LOTS OF DIFFERENT forzen and fresh seafoods

OMEGA 1 Flake

OSI Spirulina

Julian Sprung Sea Veggies

Thats it

X)

Oh my dear God! We obviously have different strategies. ;) I live by "less is better."

B-Ionic

couple different Foods

occasional selcon/zoecon (was adding to algae problems)

Makeup water

Originally posted by vanillabox

even less.

weekly water changes and fresh seafood for my 6 gallon.

Right on! B) If I could get by with waterchanges alone, I would!

Ty

I dose:

C-balance

Strontiium and Molybdenum

Iodine

Kent Microvert

Foods:

Hikari Marine-S

Nutrifin Spirulina flakes

Fresh shrimp etc.

if U want the full list of various foods, youd be amazed.

I also do the weekly waterchanges, but as far as JUST fresh sea fiid... I have a freezer full. That was just assumed in my first post.... LOL !

Boyd's iodide

B-Ionic

...bought both of these since you can actually calculate & measure the amount needed for a 10g tank.

Not quite an additive (maybe a "subtractive"? zzz): Phosguard in the Fluval 1 filter chamber.

How do you calculate the amount of iodine you need, when the current amount can't even be accurately measured? And it's used in such small amounts that the organisms could go through half or twice what you expect in any given week.

Originally posted by MKramer

How do you calculate the amount of iodine you need, when the current amount can't even be accurately measured?

Hunh? An iodide/iodine test kit isn't sufficiently accurate?

The Boyd's lists a recommended dose of 1 tablespoon per 100g, three times a week. Fortunately, you can calculate the recommended dose for a 10g tank from that amount: 1 tbsp = 15ml, so you use 1.5ml for a 10g tank. Some of the other iodide products that recommend a dosage of "1 drop per 25 gallons" -- how do you measure 2/5 of a drop? That's what I was referring to.

Ah, I misunderstood what you meant.

But no, iodine tests are not accurate. The ammount of iodine in the water is so incredibly minute, that a simple reactant test can never be accurate. Accurate iodine counts have to be obtained to fractal or separation tests. Well, and a few other methods I'm sure I( don't know about, but those are the ones I've seen.

Matthew

Iodine doesnt necessarily need to be added. Recent studies with tanks heavily populated with animals that need iodine recived it in sufficent amounts from make up water and waterchanges with good salts, by testing introduced levels of "free iodine" in the new waters and removed water concentrations of "free iodine".

there was only a minimal amount of drop off and depletion.

AFAIC, I chucked my iodine months ago. and TEST KITS? theones on the market for us "reefers" to use are like kids chemestry kits.

Its like attempting to make nuclear bomb Plutonuim with house hold items.... it cant be done, BUT we can make plastic explosives......

POINT :very crude and basic.

Archived