inTank Media Baskets

70 watt MH over 10 g ??

aqua_aaron

Hey Guys,

Well, it's funny how I'm already planning up my next tank because it's been only a month since my first tank cycled, but I have a metal halide question. I plan on setting up a 10 gallon for when i go to college and I'm going to start collecting up stuff now (so the expenses won't seem like so much because i won't be able to remember when i bought the last item :D ) I want to go with halide, but wasn't sure what type would be good for a 10 gallon. Would a 70 watter work if I were to have high-light LPS (Euphyillia) and maybe some lower light SPS? Also, what color temp doesn't need actinic supplementation?

thanks

aqua_aaron

Yes, a 70w MH would be great over a 10g. If you want to go halide only, shoot for a 20k bulb. It's blue enough that you might not miss the actinics.

Hrm. Just read you wanting to keep low-light LPS. The 70w would be pretty bright, I don't know if low-light stuff would be real happy. Hopefully more learned reefers will chime in.

A 70wattMH should be fine for whatever you want to keep. As for bulbs, Aqualine Buschke makes a 10,000K that is really a 13,000K (a kinda crisp blue light), or a 20,000K (alot more blue). Tunze makes a 15,000K in a 70watt as well. I ordered one and well have to see how it looks when I get it.

ReeferMonkey,

I said high-light LPS and low-light SPS.

Wetworx,

Is that 10K bulb that is really 13K a bulb that doesn't need actinic supplementation?

thanks,

aqua_aaron

I'm in the same boat, thinking about going metal halide over my 10. Additional questions that are probably relevant:

1) The 70W would be better than 150W? I'm looking for something that can be mounted inside a partially enclosed hood, so the 70W would make more sense due to heat issues, but I don't want to skimp either.

2) I do have two 13W setups that are running actinic. Would the 70W MH drown these out?

3) If I use the 26W of actinic, what color temp bulb would you go with, 10K?

Sorry aqua_arron, not trying to jack your thread, but maybe these are relevant questions.

DSparks: your questions were a few I were going to ask myself. I guess I'm just tagging along too.

I'm also curious whether or not a 10K would eliminate 26 watts of actinic.

Anyone with some suggestions?

thanks

aqua_aaron

Archived