Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need Advice On Getting Started!!!!!

hoobla65

OK, here's the deal: im 15 years old, live in wisconsin, and have 3 fishtanks:a 10g, a 45g, and a 65g, all are freshwater. I twould like a fourth. I really want want a nano-reef, but it sound real complicated. I've reaf the beginer articles (all of 'em) and they helped, but i still dont know things like what the best size tank is, and where/how to get equipment cheapest. PLEASE HELP I really want to be able to keep one, but i need some help!

I can tell you a few things that might help..

1) doing everything as cheap as possible, and making your own PC hood, your still looking at ~$150 just for the tank, light, LR/LS, ect.. this is before adding in store bought corals, fish, ect..

2) 10gallon is probably the best... smaller = less stable, bigger = more expensive .. but the 10 gallon is as standard as you can get, so it's not to bad (you can get just the tank itself for $8.00.)

If you read the thread I started about "ultra cheap nano-reef", over the next while I'm going to be building a very cheap 10 gallon system, and could tell you where I get everything.. I'd start at either petsmart or Wal-Mart for the tank.

So far I'm at $13.32 so far, but have a long way to go. =)

hoobla65-

I suggest selling your freashwater tanks to fund your new saltwater tank. Plus, your fifteen and you don't want to be tied down by your hobbies. You need time for sex and work. Once you go reef...........you won't want anything else.

Boomerblaster

Hey hoobla,

I am currently setting up a 20H, and i am eagerly waiting my TBS shipment NOW postponed untill next weekend. Just a suggestion but why dont you vistit TampaBaySaltwater.com! If you get a package for a 10 gallon you should be really happy. Everyone, or most everyone, is extatic with their shipments! Look into it if you can shell out the $$$! I am 16, and this is my first reef setup... so don't be discouraged, i have been reading for over 2 months almost everyday on aquariums, coral species and types, and many aspects of the hobby... all i can say is ask questions! It really does help, especially this forum. You have found a great place! What's your name by the way... send me a PM (personal message) sometime if you want to talk about it... c ya!

Thanks! Jonathan

I like that advice acoustic I am also 15 and have a ten gallon. So far I have LR, CC, 52 watts of Compact Flourescent, Firefish, clown, zoos, and a pulsing zenia all for about 150$$ not counting things like salt, hydrometer, RO water, thermo and testkits and maybe even a heater. I have five freshwater tanks, man fish are addictive!;)

You buy the lights at walmart or whatever for 10 dollars each. Then you buy the tan kfor $10, the sand for about $20 and liverock for about $70 depending on how much you need. Water for about $3 for 10 gallons at a store. My fish were about 10 dollars each. You will need a clean up crew for about $20 and corals can be had for fre or in my case about 20 dolllars. You also need water movement. I already had a tank an aquaclear mini and do not eed a heater. The other esentials will be bought whenever you are cycling after the initial purchase so in the the long run for me anyway a little under three hundred dollars. Since you live in Wisconsin I guess you dont have many LFS`s so shipping will cost you extra. ihope this helps!

Archived