Top Shelf Aquatics

my nano cube came today!

claytonfaulkner

claytonfaulkner

I got the $315 deal from foster and smith. hqi, stand, all that.

I'm pretty pumped

I will start a thread on it later

that is all!

Welcome to the Nano club! Be careful of the dowels that hold to stand together. They break REALLY easily.

+1. What he said. :lol:

I mean REALLY, REALLY easy. You might be better off trying to hold it together with pieces of chalk. Good luck!

+1. What he said. :lol:

I mean REALLY, REALLY easy. You might be better off trying to hold it together with pieces of chalk. Good luck!

You mean, what SHE said. :lol: I'm a member of the female persuasion.

You mean, what SHE said. :lol: I'm a member of the female persuasion.

Err... typo? I left the 's' off by accident, honest! :P

edit- and now I see the "I'm a girl" disclaimer. Oops.

Yep, they break in a gentle breeze. I planned to have the stand up and running for nice, sexy (inasmuch as such activity can be sexy) fill and light photos. The dowels planned otherwise, so when I do eventually post them you'll see how awesome my system would look if I placed it six inches from my toilet.

Err... typo? I left the 's' off by accident, honest! :P

edit- and now I see the "I'm a girl" disclaimer. Oops.

Actually I just added it. :lol:

royaloaksmoke

i will remember that about the stand if I decide to use it. Mine shipped out today. i was thinking about building a stand depending on how the free one looks.

claytonfaulkner

I got the stand together. It took about 2 hours. I had a couple panels that were mismatched so a few things had to be redone. I haven't filled the tank up with water yet (still trying to figure out a way around going to walmart and buying 30 jugs) and I'm thinking about taking it back apart and using 60 minute epoxy on everything, attaching a few clamps, and filling it up for some extra pressure. I would also like to add some sort of bracing. as it looks right now, any sort of lateral load, such as someone trying to move it without knowing better bumping into it hard, would just collapse the stand.

has anyone broken a stand after it was put together?

claytonfaulkner

So I filled it up with water tonight, plugged the pumps in, one pump made a big spark and then didn't do anything after (yea i tried again). the other seemed to work fine, it was super quiet. I just left it running for a few seconds, still waiting on the water to clear up. So I guess I'll be calling Dr. Foster and Smith tomorrow and see what they can do, I have a feeling JBJ would be a pain to deal with.

So I filled it up with water tonight, plugged the pumps in, one pump made a big spark and then didn't do anything after (yea i tried again). the other seemed to work fine, it was super quiet. I just left it running for a few seconds, still waiting on the water to clear up. So I guess I'll be calling Dr. Foster and Smith tomorrow and see what they can do, I have a feeling JBJ would be a pain to deal with.

Definately deal through DrFS if possible. They are usually very helpful. Consider upgrading the pump as well to an MJ of your preference. I agree that the NC stands suck for stability. They could learn a lesson from Oceanic.

Definately deal through DrFS if possible. They are usually very helpful. Consider upgrading the pump as well to an MJ of your preference. I agree that the NC stands suck for stability. They could learn a lesson from Oceanic.

+1 on that. I had several problems with my Biocube when I first got it, and DFS was great. Not sure about JBJ, and Oceanic was pretty good ("we'll get the part to you"), but DFS was even better ("we'll get the part to you RIGHT NOW").

claytonfaulkner
congrats how did you get it that cheap btw?

Dr. Foster and Smith are running a special right now. Just go to there aquatic site and its on the homepage

claytonfaulkner

Just got off the phone with DFS, they said they have to call the manufacture before they can do anything about it. I should be hearing back from them within 48 hours. Not quite what I wanted to hear but we shall see.

claytonfaulkner

more problems. I broke the hood just a minute ago. I propped it open on the little plastic pro things on the first notch. well one of them fell as i let go of the hood and it broke by the hinge.

maybe this deal really was too good to be true.

Archived