inTank Media Baskets

Size matters?

ZOBBIEBEANO

I want to provide the most for my reef. I would like to add a Refugium to my JBJ nano but I am unsure of a good measurement. I have read most of the posts and will go will Buddha to create the product. My only ? is whats to small and whats to big. People say CPR is to small at the width. Does anyone have any ideas.

i tend to agree that a refugium should probably be wider (area vs. height) than those cpr's. the cpr's seem to be pretty enough but i would double the width at least and keep the lengths (btw i don't know what buddha's fuges look like). i don't think they need to be as high but that's depending on the flow rates and dynamics of each system.

the intended use of a fuge is definitely a factor to consider but they're usually it's for the typical algae scrubbing and/or 'pod production. for either case i would prefer more area than height. algae can spread farther and absorb more light if given more area to grow.

more area translates into more sandbed and rocks, either of which further translates into more available habitat. ime i find more 'pod growth in sand than rock. otoh i see more diversity in rock than sand (altho either is debatable back and forth).

if you're looking for a minimum or maximum there's no 'rules' on that. i would figure on what type of lighting you were going to use and the shape of the rocks you intended to place in the fuge (if any) to maximize their usage. available space is of course the most important concern. those factors should aid you on what shapes/sizes to decide for a fuge. hth

Archived