SaltCritters.com

could this be hair algae?

floppyfish

I just noticed it today. It looks like green grass growing on the tips of my branching LR. It only grows where it looks like the rock had been broken off, at the top. Where there is no caralline algae. I also just started dosing kalk and Kent superbuffer yesterday. Would dosing Kalk feed this "grass"? I did a search on Hair Algae to get some pics but all I could find was "well established hair algae" and I can't tell if its the same although I'm sure it is. Sh*t, what a way to start of on a new reef tank. Up for a week and already have started hair algae. Any recommendations?

I have an ro/di, I check to make sure there is 0 tds before I start to save the water I make.

I have fiddled with the rock(moving, aqua scapping) and read in the search that the stuff can hold on to that and eat the particles that I shook up. Correct?

What is a good eater of this stuff, I searched and read that turbo snails like the stuff, and some hermits. But which ones should I get so they don't eat eachother or are reef safe?

Should I do a water change?

If any of you don't know. I just got the LR on saturday.

Ammonia is 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

God da*&%#@! b@#!@^&)&_ f*% ^(*&@!&^& s&*(^#$#

Any help I would be greatfull. Thanks Matt

Kalk actually helps to combat hair algae in terms of lowering the phosphate levels.

Your green algae could be hair algae, bryopsis or turf algae. If it's soft then it's not likely turf algae. If it's feathery looking at the ends, it could be bryopsis (pain in the butt). Otherwise it could be hair algae.:)

Archived