ReefCleaners.org

what should come first?

robert1979

Hi, I ran saltwater tanks for several years until snow and a power failure crashed my 55 gallon a year ago. I'm cycling a 29 gallon tank at the moment and plan for it to be a planted tank with several different macro algae in the display instead of running a refugium. This is going to be test tank. if it works I plan on doing the same with my old 55. The one thing is I already know which macro algae I want in the tank and plan on picking a fish that will not eat, or at least completely devour, the displayed algae. The only question I can't seem to find an answer to is wether I should get the tank planted the way I want it, then introduce the fish into the tank or the other way around.

Hope that isn't a stupid question but i'm new to the planted tank idea. I've seen some amazing tanks and am encouraged to try something new. Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Robert

I would start wiht the macro & build from there. The only reason for this, since I can't see it effecting much either way. Wound be that with nothing in the tank it will be easier to scape/plant, then as things grow out a little. Adding the fish with help match the proper environmental factors to be successful.

I would start wiht the macro & build from there. The only reason for this, since I can't see it effecting much either way. Wound be that with nothing in the tank it will be easier to scape/plant, then as things grow out a little. Adding the fish with help match the proper environmental factors to be successful.

I am intending to place an order with reefcleaners.org. Right now they have every macro I want. Since they will be shipped as fairly small pieces would you order all 7 or 8 macros or just start with a couple? Sorry for all the questions but really appreciate the help.

Robert

standard issue answer on all things reefcleaners:

ask john he is what makes reefcleaners so incredible. the level of costumer service they give is outstanding.

ok what I'd do besides ask John. If they have what you want order it. there should either be enough info around here, that you can find the answers your looking for to keep things healthy. Or ask when you cant find it.

• 4 weeks later...
Builder Anthony

Get the macro first.Let it adjust to the salt level in your tank.Try to keep the same salt level as this affects the growth.Once it has developed deep roots and is booming then you could get a fish or whatever to keep it from overrideuing your tank.

Archived