Pod Your Reef

SIMPLE Skimmer Plans?

Foogoo

Call me super lazy/busy/tired/cheap but I'm looking for a simple skimmer plan. I'm probably not going to running it 24/7 so I'm not too worried about the details. Any help would be appreciated...thanks.

try this...

get 2 gatorade bottles..16oz will be good enough...chop one off toward the bottom and the other one half way...get a PVC pipe about 3-4" long..make sure it will fit in the mouth of the gatorade bottle..mount the 2 bottle mouth to mouth and silicon it together..then silicon the pvc pipe where the two bottle meets..make sure the longer bottle is on the bottom and the half bottle on top...then drill a little hold on the top of the bottom bottle..just enough for an air tube to go in...connect the air tube with a wood airstone...and a pump..stick it in your tank/sump..

INSTANT SKIMMER..probably cost you no more then $4 if you already have an air pump...

item breakdown: 2 gatorade bottles (free/look into the trashcans in parks, markets, etc)

aquarium silicon ($3 a tube)

PVC pipe (~$0.5 at home depot)

air tube ($0.5 for 3-4 feet)

this theory comes from the structure of the CPR Back PAks...

reef hugger

check my post about my 10 cent skimmer. it is similar to what anthony posted but, it probably works alittle better (no offense anthony) and takes up less room. mine is based off of the miniflotor and lee's skimmers. if you want to know more let me know. btw, what size tank is this for?

This is for my 10 gallon nano. Frankly I don't think it's worth ~$60 for a skimmer that I won't be using full time. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

I have a couple questions about the diy skimmers both of you mentioned. These are in-tank skimmers right? Where should the water line be in reference to the collection cup? And should the return hole be under or over the water line? Thanks.

Originally posted by Foogoo

I have a couple questions about the diy skimmers both of you mentioned. These are in-tank skimmers right? Where should the water line be in reference to the collection cup? And should the return hole be under or over the water line? Thanks.

it is an in-tank or in-sump skimmer...the waterline should be where the t mouth of the bottles meet...the return flow is just out the the bottom of the bottles..Witha skimmer..you are not actually outputing CLEANER WATER...you are just taking (skimming) the waste out of the water..its not a filter...and by the air bubbles the water will be automatically drawn into the bottom chamber and will be released as it rotates thru the chamber..hope that will clear things up for you

reef hugger

i made a drawing of both of the skimmers. i hope i got anthony's right. mine is on the left, anthony's on the right. the water line should be where ever it produces the dryest foam for you. hth.

• 6 months later...
Pulldownyourpants

Josh, how is that standing in the sump? I am definately going to try this for my 150! The air stone needs an air pump, right? Why is that never factored in? What am I missing here? Should I go with a super power Whisper OR has anyone tried it with a powerhead or the sort?

Archived