inTank Media Baskets

Help!!!

insipid

Things have gone from bad to worse. I have been treating my fish for ich, I was infrom to remove the carbon media since it would remove the medcine. Now my fish still have not seemed to improve and the water is cloudy at best as well as my tank has become over taken with the bright green algae. The algae bloom happened the day after adding some DS freshwater. But nothing in my tank seems to be doing well except for the ich and algae. Everything test fine, salinity is a little higher than normal and small amount of amonia. Please advise on what I can do to improve condtions.:*(

Welcome to the boards. Forgive me if your handle doesn't inspire tremendous confidence ...

We got some problems here.

If you were trying to run your tank as a reef tank - you've probably botched it.

If the medication that you put in your tank to treat the ich is copper-based (I don't know of any that aren't), you have put an extremely toxic compound into your system - toxic to all invertebrates.

There should be no measurable ammonia in your system prior to adding livestock. Adding a fish during a cycle could also be the stressor that caused the ich.

Heres my recommendation:

If you have liverock in the system, remove it and scrub it.

Do a 25% water change this week and next

Do not add any more medication whatsoever

Do not add any more livestock for at least 4 weeks while the system stabilizes.

If the conditions improve, your fish may improve as well, if not, sadly, you will need to chalk this one up to a learning experience.

Best of luck

Well the fish are all gone now, except for a tough clown, moved everything into a another tank, with better flow, cleaned all the rocks and place new sandbed in the tank, everything seems to be doing very well now.

Archived