Cultivated Reef

iAquanaut's 10 gallon adventure...

iAquanaut

Interesting looking rock. What kind is it?

I believe that it's fiji live rock, though I am not 100% sure. I got it from the LFS which had a whole bunch of random peices in a big tub that I got to dig through- FUN. I picked the strangest looking pieces I could find. :D

Is it important to corals (and the rest of the tank inhabitants) that the light goes on and off at the same time everyday?

Yes you should have some consistency with lighting, probably 6-8 hours. Get yourself a timer. A manual one from HD costs like 10 bucks. For me, I recently got a digital timer power strip w/battery backup from HD for 22 bucks because my power goes out fairly often and if you don't have a battery backup, the schedule gets screwed up. I run my metal halide ~6.5 hours per day and moon lights 24/7.

Thanks! I'll have to look into getting a timer.

Are there any negative affects on the tank inhabitants if the lights don't come on at the same time every morning and go off at the same time every night? :huh:

Are there any negative affects on the tank inhabitants if the lights don't come on at the same time every morning and go off at the same time every night? :huh:

Consistency is one of the most important things to keep your tank "stable". You should have the lights come on and go off around the same time everyday for the health of your tank. It is really easy to do so with a timer.

Consistency is one of the most important things to keep your tank "stable". You should have the lights come on and go off around the same time everyday for the health of your tank. It is really easy to do so with a timer.

Alright, thanks!

Looks like you're off to a great start!

Thankyou! It's been an amazing "journey" so far even though its still just the beginning. :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys! So today my parakeet decided to take a swim in my tank. <_< It wasn't too pretty, but thankfully none of my corals or livestock were damaged. :mellow:

Here are some updated pics of the tank:

FTS

DSC04074.jpg

Galaxia with its sweeper tentacles

DSC03991.jpg

Xenia

DSC03980.jpg

Zoanthids and Xenia

DSC04032.jpg

Filter with filter floss and chemi pure elite

DSC03998.jpg

Cerinth Snail

DSC04004.jpg

Lighting

DSC04027.jpg

My xenia hasn't been doing too great lately. :( It hasn't been pulsing and seems to be shrinking on a daily basis. Any ideas why this might be? Also, how should I go about placing my galaxia? Its sweeper tentacles are about 6 inches long and it's been rather hard finding a place to put it were it won't be able to sting my other corals. :huh:

I've also been having alot of problems with cyano algae building up on the sandbed. Any ideas of how I can remove it for good? My hermit crabs and snails don't seem to be helping too much.

Here is an updated pic of the tank:

DSC03912.jpg

I just got my background on. :D

It would not hurt if you pointed the korilla up just a bit ot get better surface movement. Better surface movement allows for better gas exchange/escape.

It would not hurt if you pointed the korilla up just a bit ot get better surface movement. Better surface movement allows for better gas exchange/escape.

Thanks for the tip! I'll do that! :happy:

Wow! You found some beautifully encrusted (coralline) rocks...nice!!!!!! I used to have a 10g tank. It's a great size to have. That galaxia coral's sweepers are scary :o

I bet your parakeet's feathers were nice and soft after his little saltwater dip :)

Wow! You found some beautifully encrusted (coralline) rocks...nice!!!!!! I used to have a 10g tank. It's a great size to have. That galaxia coral's sweepers are scary :o

I bet your parakeet's feathers were nice and soft after his little saltwater dip :)

Thanks! Yeah, I'm still figuring out exactly where I want the galaxia because of its sweeper tentacles.

I think my parakeet was more traumatized after the incident than anything. Though, he did look a little bit cleaner afterwards. :happy:

Archived