Cultivated Reef

Lighting for All-Glass 7 Gallon Minibow

jolson247

I had a question about a lighting upgrade. I've had the new nano for a little over a month and a half (I took down a 35 gallon after a year and started over with this). Cycled with LR and LS, added my cleaners, added the clown and now would like to get into some other stuff that would require a lighting upgrade. My question is whether or not the CSL 32W retrofit kit actually fits into the stock lighting hood that comes with the Minibow. The website only lists Eclipse and someone at the LFS said that I'd need to get some sort of clip on setup or some sort of incandescent fixture and some other bulb (not a 50/50). I'm confused. I will eventually probably build a DIY hood and base, but for now, I can deal with stock. I've heard that the CSL retrofit works, but need confirmation. Also, is the bulb that comes with the CSL (does one come with it?) a 50/50? What kind of corals/polyps/etc. would one be able to keep with this new upgrade. Thanks in advance for all the answers. Any comments on my equipment list are welcomed as well. Thanks.

Heck, I might as well too. . .

7 GAL All-Glass Minibow

Whisper 10 (w/ carbon)

Zoo Med Micro Pump 10 (I know, I need a Minijet)

50W Visi-Therm Deluxe

11# LR (Fiji)

12# LS

4 Astrea snails

4 blue-legged Hermits

1 Peppermint Shrimp

1 Ocellaris Clown (Krusty II)

CSL retro works great and fits into the lightstrip just fine. You can check the Getting Set Up section on my site to see how I set mine up if you want. It is a simple setup with 32watt.

Not sure if you will be able to get the CSL retro much longer since CSL is out of biz, but there are probably still some out there.

Gil

Thanks for the reply Gilman. I will order ASAP. Just had to say that your tank was the reason I cashed out the 35 gallon and went nano. It's been an awesome time so far. Thanks again.

I'm sure the CSL retro is stocked up at the big supply houses. If not check ahsupply.com , they make a similar kit. You can fit two of hte smaller one sin the minibow hood.

Archived