Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

people with metal halides

reef101

i was wondering how much does metal halids cost you on your eletrical bill becausae im purchasing a 250 watt MH. Also if i you a 250 watt ballast, could i use 175 watt bulbs?

NanoReefer53

i dunno, my parents pay for the electricity. If u know how much ur paying per kilowatt then u can calculate it here .

You can't run a 175w on a 250w ballast. Unless of course u want to risk blowing up the bulb or damaging the bulb badly :P;)

what???????????/ iam using up $63.45 of electric bill per month on my 2 tanks? ahhhhh..no wonder my bills has been in the 120's range...without even turning on the A/C in the house...hahahhahaha

even with my AC washer/ dryer normal house hold stuff and 9 reefs, my bill is like 150 max.

The Halides are farmore economical. BUT it depends on what kind and which balast. Some suck juice, others are more economical. My CSL Prizimpendant 250 w 2 x 32 W PC runs for 18.00 or so a month and its on for 22 hours a day PC and 12 halide.

MY VHO ON THE OTHERHAND......... puts out wayyy more heat, runs on an ice cap ballast, and cost 12.00 a month roughly.

I had a 2 x 175 watt Halide system w/vhos and it ran for 55.00 a month, but it was a cheepo system...... I paid for it in the long run.

IME, spend the $ and get a good system.

As far as the 175 on a 250 ballast.. NO ! unless U like to replace bulbs every month and have a 50 % chance of a fire , explosion, shattereed glass, and electrocution. You cant overdrive halides like PC and No Floro bulbs.

Get a 250 watt Iwasaki 65k bulb. you will be happy with it, they recently changed the CRI output on it, its more crisp now:)

Archived