Cultivated Reef

Additives for a Nano Cube???

dmw913

Hi All -

After being out of the hobby for a couple of years (job, home, etc.) I just purchased the JBJ Nano Cube. I've kept big reefs before (120 gal) but never a small one like this.

I was planning to add the 2 part CA/ph buffers from B-Ionic that I used to use and was quite happy with as well as Inland Seas trace elements but have read on this site a growing consensus that additives are not useful in nano setups.

My question: I have the Salifert test kits for dKh and Ca levels. As long as I watch those, am I hurting anything by doing the additions?

TIA,

Denise

As long as you're performing them correctly, nope.

The concept with most nano-style tanks is to change the water more frequently than you would with a larger reef tank. By doing more frequent water changes (10-15% a week) you can replenish your trace elements more efficiently through your sea salt mix, and skip the trace element additions.

If your alkalinity is out of whack, do a water change. If your calcium level is too low, do a water change. Water water water, yadda yadda yadda.

I'd still use the basic test kits, such as: pH, alkalinity, calcium, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Just know with little tanks, a water change may be just as effective (if not more so) than tinkering with the water chemistry. At least with the test kits, you'll know when the tank has completed cycling and...

When you need to perform a water change!

Archived