Cultivated Reef

LITTLE white "circles" on live rock

camustang

I have dozens of little white "dots" which are actually "circle-like" on close inspection on my life rock.  I first saw numerous ones on one piece of live rock, but today noticed some on just about every piece.   Are they worms, or deposits, or something else?

The are about the size of the head of a pin, and are almost doughnut shaped with a hole in the center.  I'm posting two pics, hopefully they are helpful.

Thanks...

user posted image

user posted image

I belive those are actually baby snails...Yes, There is a particular species of snail that has LOTS of babys in a SW aquarium...Considered to be a pest, Sort of like Mylasian snails from FW tanks - If the white specs develop a spiral pattern, They will mature into baby snails...and could take over your tank...I am not sure if they are harmful, maybe benificial, but I think they look ugly IMO

LOL, Kryptonite...

My LFS guy wasn't sure (I showed him a blurry print-out that I had posted here)...

Is there anything that will eat them?  Do I even WANT anything to eat them, or should I just leave them alone?

Thanks again!!

I actually think they're pretty cool.  They are only on the back and back of the sides of the tank that I can't get too.  I scrape them off when I clean the algae off the front and the front of the sides of the tank where they won't have a chance to grow.  But I think they look pretty cool on the back and sides.

Guest AbSoluTc

They are good and occur more prominently in - darker/low flow areas.  However, I find these things just as bad as planaria.  I say this because one day, the whole front glass will be covered.  Only way to remove them is to scrape them off.  DO NOT USE A MAGNET CLEANER!  You will scratch the glass/acrylic!

They are good, but I find them to be a nuisance.

Calcifid tube worms. reletives to the KOKO worms. they are filter feaders and are always reproducing in reefs I have one customer who has somany they completely cover the back glass in places. they are however shortlived. UNLESS they have enough suspended food.

they are a pain if they grow in impeller housings as they can jam powerheads that are shut down for a few days.

I like them... so does my trigger... he eats them like rock candy when given the oppertunity

Archived