Pod Your Reef

Can LED's grow seagrasses

Uhuru

And if so, what colors would you use? Cool white, neutral white, red, etc? CREE XPG? In terms of fixtures, would an AI Sol White be able to do the job? This is for an 18" cube.

And if so, what colors would you use? Cool white, neutral white, red, etc? CREE XPG? In terms of fixtures, would an AI Sol White be able to do the job? This is for an 18" cube.

ive had better luck with seagrasses with t5ho than any other lighting source.

leds seems to grow them but they never got into a big bushy patch like with my t5ho. dunno just from my experience.

BananaSlug79

It really depends on the wavelength of light you are using... and I don't know any more about it than that. I do know that something around 460nm is good enough to grow my orchids VERY well.

It really depends on the wavelength of light you are using... and I don't know any more about it than that. I do know that something around 460nm is good enough to grow my orchids VERY well.

You have orchids in your reef tank?...cool!!!! jst kdn... ;)

ive had better luck with seagrasses with t5ho than any other lighting source.

leds seems to grow them but they never got into a big bushy patch like with my t5ho. dunno just from my experience.

what t5ho fixture and bulb combo did you use?

what LEDs did you try?

what t5ho fixture and bulb combo did you use?

what LEDs did you try?

50/50 cw /rb 12 each. ran the cw at 60% and the rb at 40%

and the t5ho was aquaactinics 36" fixture (newer reflectors)

and i was running a 1 ge 2 super and 1 actinic 1 blue (all of the bulbs were ati except the ge 6500)

I imagine most people leaning toward LEDs do it for the blue end of the spectrum. there are cheaper and more effective ways of lighting seagrass than LEDs, although a quick google search brings up a ton of LED grow lights for hydroponics, etc. that are probably in the right spectrum.

here are some brake downs of the spectral use per chlorophyll.

Chlorophyll_ab_spectra.jpg

pigment.jpg

may not be that helpful but best I've got, as to which spectrum they would need.

The dilemma for me is that I have to keep my tank cooler than most seagrass setups because its connected to my NPS system. Even though this stunts the growth of the seagrass it still grows slowly which I don't mind. I have Caulerpa and Ulva to do most of the filtration but I like to have the seagrass for aesthetics. The MH in the summer makes the chiller work too hard. I can get a bigger chiller but that would make the room hotter and my electric bill will be even more ridiculous than it already is.

I'm considering T5HO as well but LEDs would cut down on the heat and electricity more significantly than anything else, and I might not have to buy a bigger chiller.

I would think that the leds would work well. So long that the blue & red peaks can be covered. the blue peaks for chlorophyll a is about 430 then for b its around 460. Then if we want to cover the red peaks for chlorophyll a it will be about 660 & b will be around 640. so long as the leds can do this I'd say your good to go.

also if its not spot on it should still work. maybe evil would have better answers though.

gulfsurfer101

I just got on with this idea today. I added a small batch of some maiden's hair to my cube under a boost par30 bulb and should update my thread pretty soon.

You and I think alike. I may be switching before summer, myself. I don't see why they couldn't grow seagrasses, assuming the spectrum isn't skewed too far into the blue end (depending on the species, of course). I was looking into the AquaIllumination Sol white...

Hydroponic LEDs aren't an option (for me at least), since the actual color of the light itself is hideous. The last thing I want is a purple tank...

Archived