Top Shelf Aquatics

Stupid questions about the Eclipse 6 (is that redundant?)

big

I'm going to apologize in advance for posing any query that might be thoroughly answered only a couple of threads away, but having spent several hours gathering info on nano-reefs, I'm feeling a little bleary-eyed and lazy. In other words, feel free to comment on my inability to locate the information on my own.

That said, here's my story: I just got a good deal on an Eclipse 6 ($45 with shipping and tax from Petco.com) that was purchased with the intent of creating a nano-reef. This intent was partially fueled by some assurances from a reef store in Seattle that the System 6 would work just fine. Now, I'm seeing that the Eclipse systems are far from the top choice for a little reefer madness (at least not in their unmodified form). My dilemma then is whether to press on with the Eclipse and do all the retrofitting or go ahead and use that for a small freshwater tank and just start a nano from scratch with a 10 gallon.

I see that a lot of people have opted for the modified System 6, but I'm thinking that it might just be a wiser investment to leave that as is since it's hard to get a decent 10 gallon freshwater setup for less than $50 and the tank looks good in an office. Also, I think the fact that the Eclipse hood -- even modified -- only lights the front half of the tank is a bit of a detriment. Am I right?

So, unless there are strong arguments against it, I'm thinking starting from scratch with a 10 gallon is the way to go, yes? If that's the case I've got a couple of questions I just need clarified for me:

1. There seems to be about an even split regarding whether one needs a protein skimmer. Should I opt to try the tank without one, it is something I can add later with little disruption to the ecosystem, right? Or, must I choose a side in the debate now and be stuck with it?

2. I got the message that the Eclipse filter system isn't the most well-received thing out there, so I'll be going with a powerhead to circulate the water through its natural LR and LS filtration. The thing that's throwing me for a slight loop is that some people talk about an additional Marineland Mini Bio-Wheel to complement the powerhead. Do I want/need this? Isn't it essentially the same filter type that one finds on the Eclipse System (both Marineland, both wet/dry Bio-Wheels)? What gives?

3. Last question: Any recommendations on a good hood/light setup for a standard 10 gallon?

I've had a lot of success with freshwater and goldfish tanks, but this is my first foray into the reef, so I'd rather take the time to get the best info and advice I can before going too DIY on the project (he says, having toyed with this idea for well over two years). Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can drop in my direction.

--big

you can still use the E6 as a very pretty refugium that's gravity fed back to a 10g (or whatever you decide). the E6 is readily drillable so you could do a bulkhead setup pretty easily.

no bio-wheels for anything other than a FO or FOWLR imo. it's efficiency to process wastes to the nitrate level is superb but those same efficient factors also unfortunately stop at the nitrate level. whereas in reefs, you need to limit nitrates as well as nitrite and ammonia.

lighting for a 10g could range from 2x32W PC's to a 150W mh. going beyond that isn't necessary imo altho it would provide scalability for when you eventually upgrade. ;) hth

Archived