inTank Media Baskets

Pruning Halimeda Macro Algae ?

spham24

Are we suppose to prune Halimeda? I've read that they don't like pruning.

So what do you do when some of it turns white? Do you just leave it or do you take those bits off.

Also, I read that those bits do make up some of the aragonite in the sand. (I skimmed article fast so not might be accurate)

Is this like caulerpa where if you don't prune it the absorbed nutrients are released back into the water?

halmeida has a very small chance or going sexual,which is what you're referring to about nutrients being dumped back into the water. It is a calcified algae, and when it dies, it leaves behind calcium carbonate that makes up a distinct portion of many natural reef sand. The white parts are just dead parts of the plant, they will eventually fall off, but if you don't like the look of them, then you can just break off the white parts.

halmeida has a very small chance or going sexual,which is what you're referring to about nutrients being dumped back into the water. It is a calcified algae, and when it dies, it leaves behind calcium carbonate that makes up a distinct portion of many natural reef sand. The white parts are just dead parts of the plant, they will eventually fall off, but if you don't like the look of them, then you can just break off the white parts.

Thanks. I don't mind the dying parts at all. I just wanted to get some things clarified. I'll just let it keep growing and let nature take its course.

just dont go nuts with it, maybe 20% a week or so, or split it. What species of halimeda?Certain species like halimeda incrassata for example don't do as well with pruning as others, I wouldn't do more than 10% of that macro at any time

It's the "money" looking one. There are four different "clusters" growing out. One cluster is slowly turning white and dying off.

This was the original one before others sprouted throughout the rock.

you can probably trim that whole portion off and leave the rest. That shouldn't cause any trouble, probably different holdfast sections and all that to boot.

Archived