Pod Your Reef

Where to place the fans?

fishtankbabe

Okay, I'm almost ready to start putting my tank together. My question for today is, where in my hood should I put the fans?

My set up is going to be a custom wood canopy on a 29 gal. My lights are 1x 250 watt MH, and 2x 55 watt PCs. I have 2x 3.5 inch fans, but I don't know where to install them. Should they be at the front of the tank, the back of the tank, or one of each; one blowing in, one pushing air out?

...one blowing, one sucking:P

...post some pics of your tank once it's set up...which sounds "really" nice, btw! bright!:)) But try to make the fan blowing in aimed at the MH, but across the tubes as well. You will want to create a flow of air so one at each end would most likely be best...:)

Originally posted by KrackerG

...one blowing, one sucking:P  

:woot: LOL

Yeah, I'm going to special order my canopy from the LFS so I can get a taller one than the regular ones they carry at the store. I'll ask them if they can put ventilation holes on either side. That would be sweet. Thanks for the reply!

I put one on each side of my hood, both of them blowing in. I've read reports of people having the fans go bad pretty quickly on the one that is blowing out due to it blowing out salty humid air. However, the IceCap fans are supposed to be OK since they are made for the aquarium trade.

I've heard the same as emarti.....have your fan(s) blowing in, and leave some sort of vent for the air to flow back out. I've heard that if you have one blowing in and one sucking out you can expect the one sucking out to have about half the lifespan as the other.

On my canopy I just have slots across the top so the air can circulate freely. I plan to get some kind of clip-on fan to just blow air across the slots to draw air out, we'll see how it works :)

Good luck.

- Daniel

Archived