ReefCleaners.org

College!

realhiphop

What size tanks does everyone who is in college have?

Since there are several moves, does anyone suggest getting a 10 over a 20, or does it not make a huge difference?

i think 20 gallon is just way 2 big if u haev 2 move it a few times a year...just need coolers the styrofoam ones or buckets. What college are u going 2 go 2?

when I was a sophomore I had a little tiny fresh water tank, maybe a gallon. I had a couple of fish in it and it was a source of much peace and tranquility until one of my fraternity brothers ordered a pledge to guzzle the tank or guzzle XXXX (don't need the trouble from chris so I will let you figure it out) water. A sad moment to say the least but the other option was horrific. Needless to say, that was my last foray into fish keeping until after I graduated.

Don't go over 6 gallons. You will be moving ALOT, and anything over that would be a pain, I think. I had a 3 gallon and that was easy. Just pick it up and move it.

A buddy of mine has a 20 that he had through college and that thing is a nightmare to move.

And definitly watch out for drunk people. College parties are a salt water aquarium's worst nightmare. The 20 gallon I mentioned got a beer poured into it. Killed everything in it.

Originally posted by Korbin

And definitly watch out for drunk people.   College parties are a salt water aquarium's worst nightmare.  The 20 gallon I mentioned got a beer poured into it.   Killed everything in it.

see my post elsewhere about frat brothers and fish eating.

i'm in college and i HAD a five, now i have a new 20. I'm dreading having to move it, but hopefully i'll be in this place for a year or two. I don't move as often as a lot of college kids

Moving a tank takes one day. Don't let that one day of hell per year determine what size tank you have. I had a 75 in college. I moved it twice to other rooms in the fraternity house, once to an apartment down the street, and once home to San Diego. Those 4 days of pure ###### were well worth having a nice tank up there for four years.

once I was finally out of the dorm and fraternity house and had my own apartment (with 4 roomates), I had a sweet Oceanic 58g show FO tank.

Only moved it twice during college and once after college.

GO BUCKEYES!

parhead

I had a 40 gal reef, plus a 20 and 5.5 FW, and moving them was no problem. With the reef I just needed about 4 five gallon buckets and a cooler. Would be a pain if you're moving more than about a 4 hour drive though. Anything over 7 you're going to have to take everything out anyway. My biggest peeve was that the tank never had a chance to really establish due to moving 2-3 times per year.

printerdown01

Kapelakin, you are braver than I!! I currently have a 12 gallon with a 2.5 refuge on it (well the fuge is a work in process, being set-up tonight).... If I had to do it over again I would have gone with a 5 or a 10 JUST to make moving it easier!! I live in the SF Bay Area and go to school in San Diego (11 hr drive). Moving is a pain in the arse!! I have to take everything out and bag it seperately in an ice chest... I lost half my xenia durring the move back home this summer (it was paired with a shroom colony that it had attached to, which probably wasn't a good idea). Not to worry the xenia is now bigger than it has ever been. -just my story/opinions, for whatever they are worth....

Lunchbucket

i started w/ a 55gal...moved it once to a different place...then down graded to a 10gal...moved that once...not too bad but still stucked. any tank is hell to move!!l

i would only do a 7bow or a 10 just for sake of moving and so you don't spend too much $$ on it!!

Lunchbucket

Archived