Innovative Marine Aquariums

Taylor Rae's bio cube 14 ...started1-1-2011

jrock4224

i picked up this tank off this forum and set it up for my daughter...heres the opening day pics...

DSC00103-1.jpg

DSC00105-1.jpg

DSC00108-1.jpg

DSC00112-1.jpg

the last pic is a wierd pic of the leds only ...lots of mods planened for this tank ...some already done... LPS Crazy sold me the tank and modded it ...his design on the rack...i used a stock p[ump left over from my 29hqi...lots of flow now....so what do you think....

I like the aquascape and all the caves for fish to swim through. Is that a Tonga rock holding up a rock on the right?

What are the stocking plans?

Yeah ....i like to see how little sand bed i can use by positioning the rock the rock on the left is my new signature ... i call it the spire.. one long tonga branch rock sticking up un attached to anything....rpobaby gonna try and get some zoos to cover it...i had some interesting experiences with my sofites in my former big reef tank.. taking over everything...so now i have learned not to allow softies near any rocks i dont want covered...

Already got all my leds and heat sink coming for the diy led fixture...should be here later this week...debating if i need more flow got a ton of it by swapping out the pump....where can i source this style line loc and fittings... wanting to split it ... stirring up sand bed right now no matter where I aim it...stock skimmer is wierder than my 29hqi.... no height adjustment and cant keep water out of the collection cup...I modded it to hang on the brace on the outside of the tank ...since i cut that piece out for flow but sits way lower in water column and is letting water in collection cup..everyone tells me not to run a skimmer, especially stock...but my 29 i can get to produce decent skimate until i open the hood and knock the collection cup off and change the height of my skimmer...does the tunze or remora fit under the hood...on this tnk i wanna run the stock hood with my new led and all the hardware...so i am looking to try and keep the peices pretty small...and in the tank...please offer anysuggestions... or please copmment on my aquascaping i love to aqua scape. the bc14 took the longest out of any tank but i think its cause i barely have any room and my rock inventory is a little slim...when it comes to smaller size rocks..

taylor loves this thing... she constantly is pulling the magnet off and pointing at the snails and crabs and saying ooooooi...

TurkeyDay2026.jpg

Ps taylor rae is that cute little 19* month old in the center.. shes 3 feet tall and nearly 40 pounds...allows her to grab my magnet no matter where i put it and haul it off ..she loves to watch the tank... another week and i can put something in it for her to freak out over

as far as stocking ....probably a naso tang with steamers or a vlimingi tang...hahahaha nah, couple shrimp an emerald/porcelain crab .. some small wrasse of sorts and a pair of onyx clowns ... as far as corals... once the leds are installed...I got a buddy that want me to take some shrooms...even though not much a shroom guy.. he also wants me to put leathers hes fragge din both my 29 and 14 but not much of a leather guy...few small acros to see if they can grow under the leds...maybe some shelfing monti or birds nest... couple rare acans...maybe a plate...when it cmes to reefs i am kinda a less is more..i never have like d a tank with wall to wall corals... i like to go for a realistic type look.. frag early keep things scale...

thats cool..... You will like the LED's. Shouldnt have a problem growing acros in there. Take some pics when you start getting your stuff in the tank.

Holy #### dude, busting out the LED card already eh ? Nice to see your having fun with it lol. How are my media racks working thus far ? I know with my 29 I had to upgrade the pump to get decent flow over the top drip plate.

The stock skimmers really need to be fine tuned but once you get them just right they do work great on the 14g cube. Way to small for the 29g though. A buddy of mine has a 14 and perfected the skimmer fine tuning gets good quality skimmate.

If you run chem-pure and have a ball of cheato in the rear chamnber with regular water changes I wouldnt worry much about the skimmer especially with the light bioload you plan on having. If you can get the little skimmer to pull anything close to decent skimmate your gonna be fine.

Back from suspension... my humor is funkadelic and misunderstood... thanks lps i owe it all to you... i actually like this better than my 29 right now....the factory light is awesome for brightness and yes i got my leds in the works cause i wanna see if i can grow any acro's in it... plus i am beta leds or a larger tank i am planing...I was kinda thinking l;ed supplemneting halide but its a big tank and tdeep and i am concerned i wont get the light deep enough in to that tank...as far as yor rack its rad... i am just deciding on chemi pure and purigen if to or not... the skimmers ok i just need it higher in the water column... where i have it it sits lower than the factory location so i get a real wet skimmate which i m not a huge fan of...i would be interested to hear you frineds stuff on the skimmer.. i am pretty resourceful and have a couple i deas to get it riding higher...I put the power head out of my 29 in it and the flow is great ... little to good which is why i would like to find a line loc y and split it to dissipate the flow a bit...keep diggin sand holes out.. added some more sand to stable up my rock work...i am also gonna build a chaeto light with leds...

my 29 i think is working great ... skimmer sucks but serviceable... if i walk by it gets re adjjusted ... and opening the hood knocks the cup off everytime... one day i will emember to remove it before i open the hood...Its got original lighing but just seems dark in side... its very focused and diluted... if seems like a dimmer is on ....so if all goes well i may add leds to that ne too as supllimental to see how it and the hqi perform togetheri will post some updated pics ....

by the way what pumps did you put in your 29 mine are weak sauce and my 14 makes those pumps in my 29 look like nutttin...even with my koralia in the 29...tried to put one in the 14 .... i have no idea why its huge looked like a plane in there and made way to much flow....cloudy water all the time with sand in the column always

I put a QuietOne 1200 my 29

As far as the lock line thing goes, i think its a odd size like 5/8 or some crap but I could be wrong, check fostersmith aquatics, they sell a good selection of loc-llne.

Worst comes to worst, you could easily scoar a big enough hole to remove the stock nipple and stick a 1/2 bulkhead in there and the world is yours.

Just get a fixed blade utility knife, take it apart wash it good with rubbing alcohol to get any oil off, put it back togeather then just scoar/cut out a square around the stock nipple, big enough to get a 1/2 bulkhead in then loc-line it up with your custom array. That plastic is thin, should be able to pop a square out with just a few scoars.

yeah i wish i woulda thought of that earlier on...i tried the loc line parts i have and yes they were nice enough to put a one off size onit...did your 29 only run one pump or dual....mIne is running duals...with a switcher on it...

This is how the dad is exploiting the innocent daughter to fund his new toy.

nope tried that.... tried to tell my wife the jet boat i bought was for my daughter....shes not buying it.... my wife wanted me to drag my 29 in the house after it was half way through the cycle cause our daughter liked it so much so we decided to set her one up instead...and to be honest i like the 14 more then my 29 right now... and you dont know my daughter shes devious and cunning....and has a affliction for my glass magnet ... i find the outside half of it stuck to the fridge.. the heater register, her crib, my boat trailer, her quad, my quad, unfortunately my truck smetimes, light fixtures....i started hiding it from her now... now she just face presses the glasses and laughs hysterically at my cuc...and says mmmmooooooiiiiihhhhh..its a lot of fun for her... which makes it fun for me and my wife...

thanks search my bc 29 thread back in the game son to see my other tank and previous...and i appreciate your politeness...duely noted for future wooden leg comments..that will now cease unless provoked

Edited by jrock4224

Haha awesome. My 1 year old is always after my magnet and likes to help me every time I do something to the tank he thinks he needs to put his hands in it to. I have to hide my mag on the back of the tank where he can't reach it so that everything is safe inside.

yeh i starte doing that but now i just pull it off....tick it to the range hood and put the inner mag inthe 3rd chamber...sand was every where my cuc was tramatized and bombarded regularly had to do something......

and mr big red dog ... if you spend time with your kids and not park them in front of elmo youd be suprised...but i guess theres not much time for that...if you busy perpatrating....

and mr big red dog ... if you spend time with your kids and not park them in front of elmo youd be suprised...but i guess theres not much time for that...if you busy perpatrating....

I spend lots of time with the kiddos...sadly, they aren't into aquariums like I am. Good start, btw :happy:

Big red dog, Thanks....i appreciate the kind words of encouragement...went to buddies house checked out his large reeftank... his tank is coming along nice... best part he had frags for me... brought them home plugged them in to my bc 29 till this tank returns from cycle... the one thing i wonder is where is my order from led supply.....been couple weeks... got my heatsink weeks ago..

• 10 years later...

Admins this account ...this is the one im trying to re log into but the lovely lady above went crazy and oddly stole my email account ... its all good cause i got full custody of my daughter 

any help trying to get the credentials back that i emailed you about via pm

HEY IM back ....this tank was taken down in 2013 ....i just reset it up and joined back in thank for your help Chris .... Similar set up as the first time but had to replace my diy led with a steves led for the 14 ... friend had a couple a anems (that i don't like) and  few clowns that needed a new home so i set it back up 

As i mentioned im no married any longer ..... bad deal ... my bio cube 29 had a hammer taken to it and ruined all the livestock and corals .... took all my tanks down and moved ..... so i been pining to get back into the game ... got a bunch of tanks I've aquired ... 3'x3'x3' cube...8' glass .... waterbox pen20 but nothing set up ... I will document the journey here... been missing the forums for years but not sure what phot sharing app people use now ... quick back at it message and will update soon 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1