Innovative Marine Aquariums

Scraping coralline with a METAL razor??

TheCheat

I've read about a few peeps who scrape coralline off their tanks using a razor, but from what i understand, it is a bad idea to put anything metal in your tank. what's up?

don't leave it in there but casual use with a razor blade (one sided) is fine. it'll end up rusting no matter how quickly you dry it after use but i still use it.

btw you could use an old credit card too but the razor is MUCH faster. hth

TheCurriculum

Using a razor is ok as long as you don't leave it in the tank :happy:

I know some who say never ever do it... It's how I clean my fresh water and how Kelly cleans his 125g reef tank (has had the tank up over 5 years with bi-monthly scrapings) with no ill effect

Now I would recomend putting the razor on a stick or handle. It's best practice to keep your hands out of the tank due to soaps cleaners etc, plus it's easier to scrap the bottom of the tank without causing a mess.

Some wally worlds and other mass market stores carry cheap scrappers. They have a plastic handle with a tip on the end to mount the razor blade. I bought mine around 10 years ago but I don't see why they wouldn't be around.

Or go buy a wood dowel or 1/4" to 1/2" square stick. Split the end then push the blade in and a little fishing line to hold it in place ( I use this method to scrap my intake pump in my pond. 5' long with a razor on the end and cost about 3 bucks to make )

Some reef oriented LFS's carry good quality scrapers with extra long handles. Many of them use hard plastic tips with thin edges like credit cards. With stainless steel one edge razor blades, you can use them just fine as long as you don't let them sit in the tank and rust on you.

Credit cards just don't cut the mustard with corraline algae, but are fine on most of the other types (diatoms, green, red) of crud algaes.

How about a diamond coated titanium blade? Just kidding. A thin piece of titanium sheeting (good luck finding it) would work.

I have a cousin working on his chemistry phD working with experimental diamond culture (diamond coating), so now I think everything should be coated with a thin one molecule layer of diamonds.

Originally posted by Korbin

I also fear putting steel in my tank.

A titanium razor blade.  That's what I want.  Anyone know if they make them?

isn't gillette or shick selling a titanium razor these days...? I don't how good it would work but...it's not steel

TheCurriculum

Just curious, anyone know how aluminum reacts to saltwater? Does it break down under saltwater?

While soda cans are aluminum the insides are coated.

If it doesn't I'm sure a machine shop could easily turn out a solid aluminum scrapper if you really want something exotic

Aluminum DOES react with SW. The "rust", if you will, looks like white crystals, or bubbles on the surface of the material. Also, as soft as aluminum is, I think you would have a hard time keeping an edge on it.

The titanium razor blades are in the form of cartridges, it would be difficult to utilize the actual blade outside of it's plastic housing.

It might work for hair algea, though ;) !

the ones in the plastic carts can be cut open quite easily (mind you don't cut yourself tho). I use one for scraping hard to get off algae and coralline, I have another that is used for a hair algae trimming device. I also occasionally put metal scissors in the tank (to trim xenia), metal tweezers (to pull algae and to feed), metal side cutters and a pair of metal (SS) cat claw clippers I use for fragging..

just don't leave anything metal in the tank and you'll be right...

-skeletor-

Archived