ReefCleaners.org

is this salt any good.

seaker

a little over a year ago I was one of those chumps that almost jumped right into this. Not knowing much I relied on the advise from the lfs. they sold me a bunch of crap, I took about half of it back. Cause when I got home I started doing a lot of research on reef central and in books. Once I learned more I wanted a big system and didn't have the money for it. Just recently I found nano-reefs. So I got a 12 gal nano cube. (I know I'm gonna spend a lot of money) So my ? is, Is the year old bag of salt still good and Is this brand any good? It says "deep ocean synthetic sea salts, premium reef formula, nitrate, phosphate, and silicate free" or should I throw it out.

Yep, should be o.k. to use. Break up any clumping due to moisture and thoroghly shake up the bag when it's powdery to ensure it's mixed well, then go ahead and use it.

Personally, I like Instant Ocean brand, but any good brand will do (red sea's reef salts, etc.).

Make sure you have a good hydrometer, and that you rinse it out in fresh water before each use to prevent salt crystals from effecting the test readings. Also, some salts need to be mixed at specific temperatures so that they'll give an accurate reading on a hydrometer (75-80 deg.). so you may have to mix a batch up in say a clean 5 gallon plastic paint bucket (go buy one at lowes or home depot, never use one that's had chemicals in it) and attach a small tank heater to the side to let it warm up the water first.

Use steam distilled, RO/DI or RO water (not "spring") for your tank water (not tap, yes this is important). What's safe for human consumption usually isn't safe for reef tanks (humans have a lot higher tolerances for crap in their water).

Also, if you're using a plastic box type hydrometer (not a bobbing glass one), make sure that when you fill it, you expell all of the air bubbles attached to the plastic needle in the box. Tap it with your fingernail till you get all of the bubbles off, for an accurate reading.

I'm gonna switch to instant ocean when i'm done with this bag. I am using ro water, gonna switch to ro/di pretty soon. I also have a plastic hydrometer, it sux. the end of the needle is passed where the numbers are so its kinda hard to tell. where can I get a good one that isn't too expensive? thanks

Any good LFS that carries saltwater supplies and fish will have a hydrometer. I'd personally get the glass floating bobber type if they have one, next to that another plastic box one. I wouldn't expect to pay more than say $15 for a good one.

Archived