Top Shelf Aquatics

HELP!! Hitchhiker cnidarian (not aptaisia) and multiplying fast.

1fish2fish

I've got some sort of anemone on a piece of live rock. Its small with a pinkish red bas and white tiped tentacles. They also have a slight irridescent blue sheen around the oral disc depending on how you look at them. They generally shrinks during the day and come out at night. They are slowly spreading across the rock. One came loose the other day and I actually saw my Ricordia eat it (bad luck on the landing hehe). I'll try to get my dng digital camera to take a shot. I'm haveing issues with geting the pics from my camera to my comp. :blush: .o0(dang SONY Mavica)

If this fits any descriptions that anyone is familiar with let me know. I figure if it's a pest it would be best to nail it now.

On a good note, I picked up several nice blue/green/purple shrooms, a xenia, a tiny colt coral frag, and some star polyps from my LFS today. They shrooms colt and xenia have opened and the xenia is pumping away. I figure the stars may take a little longer.

Thanks..... pics on the way.. I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, I never did. I watched it divide a few times and now have about 8 to 12 of them. It definitely isn't aiptasia though. I have seen them let go of the rock and roll with the current to a new location. This is pretty cool to watch, but goes poorly for them on from time to time. An example would be the one that I watched my Ricordia eat. LOL

The small ones are about 2 - 3 mm and that largest are about 1.5 cm across. They don't stretch out like aiptasia either. The base is pinkish red and the tentacles are pale with white tips (sort of a ball at the end).

I just decided to take a chance and leave them alone. Might be a mistake, but time will tell.

I would have posted a picture, but I just can't seem to get a decent one and figure there is no point in posting an out of focus smudge and asking for an id.

• 2 weeks later...

i realize this thread's been dormant for a while, but i was wondering if you had any pics of the unknown hitchhikers... i've got a bunch of clearish guys that sound like yours, and one pinkish red one, that i can't seem to find any info on..

mine look just like the pic here... what about yours?

Archived