Innovative Marine Aquariums

a little help on this macro

acer

first... sorry for the bad pic.

I'm trying to figure out what this is... I'm pretty sure it is a macro (99% sure) ... I thought it was a red codium, but there's no such thing.

this pic is about 3 months old... since then the tube structures haven't grown up, but spread out and stayed pretty close to the rock, and I finally got the courage to touch it. It's smooth and feels pretty solid and is stuck in the rock pretty good. It's about 4-5x as big now... I forgot my camera at school so I couldn't get a more recent picture of it.

2010_1010BL.jpg

oh and it's a little more red than purple now.

I would like to first, know what it is and if it would be possibly to cut it so I can put it in a different tank to grow. Also, if you have information on getting it to grow upwards instead of down that would be great too.

I'll get an updated pic asap.

thanks for the help :)

I don't know what it is, but if it is a macro, you can just cut it and rubber band/glue it to another rock. as far as making it grow upwards, you could try having less flow towards it. It may just be that it grows in a low spreading manner.

I don't know what it is, but if it is a macro, you can just cut it and rubber band/glue it to another rock. as far as making it grow upwards, you could try having less flow towards it. It may just be that it grows in a low spreading manner.

thanks :) good to know the tank I plan on putting it in has really low flow in a couple spots, so I'll try that.

I'll attempt cutting it next water change day, so if it pops and releases stuff I can get it out.

ok. so I broke a small piece off of the plant... it's solid and not a bubble. :)

and here's a clearer pic... it's about to form a branch on the longer stem part I think

2011_0106AF.jpg

hopefully someone can ID it.

Archived