ReefCleaners.org

MH at home improvement stores?

Shadow

Hi!

The other day shopping at Homedepot, i stumbled on some MH bulbs, the thing is, they were really cheap less than 50$.

Thoses bulbs were huge.

Now i'm wondering, if they are ok for a reef aquarium.

I didn't check the Kelvin rating on them, but if they would be higher than 5600, would they be ok?

-Shadow

I saw some metal halides at Home Depot, in the same sort of price range you're mentioning, and the color temp was under 3000K on some of them. Bleah.

gobies, guess it was too good to be true.

but on the other hand, i'm sure the MH fixtures at home depot cost alot less than the one at the aquarium shop.

-Shadow

NanoReefer53

The bulb are under 5000k a least. You can sure buy the ballasts at home depot for a cheap price though. That's basically what a PFO ballast is (the aquarium brand name kind). They just get some recylced ballasts, test them, fix em up, then slap em in a fancy metal box and sell em for twice as much.

nanoreefer,

is it me, or this hobby exploits its hobbyist!

i`ve never seen a r/c aircraft kit that was made from a crashed airplaine ;)

-Starburst

NanoReefer53

don't worry though, PFO is very good and makin their ballasts good. I have heard no problems with them and when running bulbs it always seems that PFO runs them better than some other ballasts.

• 2 weeks later...
i`ve never seen a r/c aircraft kit that was made from a crashed airplaine

No, but your servo motors may have come from them. People return old servos on warranty, the companies strip out the motors, grease them up, and sell them again.

Or, at least, that's common in the servers used in R/C cars, and I thought they were much the same.

Originally posted by anthony812

a stupid question..but what is the difference between a PFO ballast and the Hamilton Ballasts?

Well this really depends on where they get their ballasts. Usually one of these big companies contract with ballast makers such as Advance, Venture, blahblah and uses those ballast at wholesale price. I don't own a hamilton but the PFO's do use some ballast from Sola and venture.

Archived