Top Shelf Aquatics

Sponge Filtration?

DSparks

Quick question, as a search on "sponge" gives me false positives . . .

Now that my cleanup crew is busy working over the tank, I'm having a lot of detrius floating in the water. I'm using a floss/sponge type thing in my Aquaclear to help remove this from the water. Is this OK? If so, how long until I need to remove it? If I'm wrong in doing this, how do I handle the floating stuff?

Originally posted by DSparks

Quick question, as a search on "sponge" gives me false positives . . .

Now that my cleanup crew is busy working over the tank, I'm having a lot of detrius floating in the water. I'm using a floss/sponge type thing in my Aquaclear to help remove this from the water. Is this OK?  If so, how long until I need to remove it?  If I'm wrong in doing this, how do I handle the floating stuff?

I'm still new at this whole reef thing too, but I've heard as long as you change out the sponge/floss frequently you should be OK. If you've got a sump, you may try a micron bag.

Anyone?

Mike

floss is fine. the sponge is good too (re-usable) but you have to make sure you shake it clean. it may look clean but there's probably crappie inside.

a quick visual check for large debris or coloration should give you a clue as to maintenance. for a dirty tank i would check every other day, once mature and settled this could be every week to two weeks. ymmv

ditto on the micron bag or at least multiple pre-filter sponges. hth

Take 2 big AQ sponges and cut them across so you have 4 long sponges, like a piece of bread. That way it will still trap everything but stuff won't be stuck inside. Then each time your rinse them just put them back together and you get 2 full sponges. I use 2 because the refiltration sometimes dumps crap in the water out of the top grid.

I agree with tiny and chron, while I only use sponge-filters after water changes to clear up my water, the abovementioned methods will work quite well.

Archived