inTank Media Baskets

Mushroom Boy's BC29 - Steve's LED Install Page 2

Mushroom Boy

I ordered a BC29 retrofit kit from Steve's LEDs today. I went with 16 Royal blue, 7 warm whites (4000K) and 5 cool blues. Hopefully by this time next week, it'll be up and running!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aewsome Build!!! I too am planning on buying Steves. Can you take pictures as you assemble it so I can get a better idea of how it work? Also is this the Oceanic or Coralife Biocube? :)

Amazing tank. So jelly about the clouns and RBTA!!!!

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

I just got my kit and installed it today. I am REALLY happy with how it looks!

Here's a bunch of pictures from the install. Mine is an Oceanic model...

Original hood...

IMG_4710.jpg

Splash guard removed...

IMG_4711.jpg

Original electronics gutted...

IMG_4712.jpg

Fan baffle removed with a Dremel. I saved the baffle for a later part of the install (pics later on)...

IMG_4714.jpg

Here's the goods. Again, it's 16 Royal blue, 7 warm whites (4000K) and 5 cool blues...

IMG_4717.jpg

Here's the fan baffle in its new job. I cut a piece of it to fit the original power switch plate so the control knobs could be properly attached to it (the holes in the original are larger than the knobs)...

IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4721.jpg

IMG_4722.jpg

IMG_4724.jpg

I drilled a 2.5" hole through the existing vent slats and attached some rain gutter mesh to clean up the look a bit...

IMG_4723.jpg

Here she is, fully installed. Note, I kept the original moon lighting and just mounted the lights to a few of the remaining posts in the hood...

IMG_4725.jpg

Hood from above...

IMG_4731.jpg

IMG_4732.jpg

AND NOW, MAN OH MAN AM I STOKED WITH HOW IT LOOKS! The corals pop like nobody's business. The fish have better color as well.

FTS...

IMG_4727.jpg

Left side. These things really light up my majanos :angry: - Oh well, another project for another day...

IMG_4726.jpg

Right side...

IMG_4728.jpg

And for comparison's sake, here's a close up shot of the right side...

Before...

IMG_3250.jpg

And after...

IMG_4729.jpg

HOLY SHOOT! That is freaking a big difference! I ordered mine on wednesday! They just cant get here fast enough! I was worried about the moonlighting but looks like it won't be a big deal after all.

How long did it take after you purchased before you got your shipping email? I still don't have an email saying mine was shipped. Odd.

Also. Thanks so much for the pictures! It is really gonna help me out a lot. I have the coralife version but shouldn't be too much of a difference. Interesting how bright it is without any reflectors. You might burn everything if you did that ha ha.

Thanks guys,

I believe they do sell a version for the 14G. www.stevesleds.com

I'm just amazed at the difference. Right now, I'm running them at a little less than half power. I ordered it last Friday and got the shipping confirmation on Wednesday, so about 3 business days - and that was including the custom lighting configuration. You're gonna love 'em!

Ah so it took about 3 days to process your order then a few more to get it? :D

Dang if thats just half power or less then full power must be insane!

SICK!

Yep, three days to process and then three days in the mail.

Thanks Ben! And thanks again for your help in making the decision about the LED choices. It looks fantastic!

One thing I've noticed about the placement of the moonlights is that I actually like the way the light is more evenly distributed around the reef now. It's a nice effect when the lights are out.

Nice looking setup with the StevesLeds. Just one question, the LEDs you have in the photo are one strip each whereas I go to the StevesLed website, the various kits, including the BC ones has single emitter chips ( ie 1 disc with one light each )....can you explain the difference or is the website not updated? Thanks

Msjboy

jedimasterben
Nice looking setup with the StevesLeds. Just one question, the LEDs you have in the photo are one strip each whereas I go to the StevesLed website, the various kits, including the BC ones has single emitter chips ( ie 1 disc with one light each )....can you explain the difference or is the website not updated? Thanks

Msjboy

Just hasn't updated the site yet with the new strips. All the premade kits are now coming on the 7up strips.

I just wanted to throw a couple more shots in here. Also, big kudos to Steve's LEDs for helping me through the install. They were very helpful and responsive (even over the weekend). Highly recommended! Ben, thank you too again!

Top down view...

IMG_4748.jpg

Skull Mountain never looked so good...

IMG_4733.jpg

• Like 1
jedimasterben
Looks amazing! Interesting how your using warm white in the ratio

Just takes more royal blue to even out the color temperature and more cool blue to take the purple out. The combination leads to wicked coloration. B)

So I got mine and installed it. Not sure if I was missing parts but the cord to the power supply from the drivers was like 3 inches. So I ended up mounting the powersupply in the hood as well. How did you do yours?

So I got mine and installed it. Not sure if I was missing parts but the cord to the power supply from the drivers was like 3 inches. So I ended up mounting the powersupply in the hood as well. How did you do yours?

My power supply cords (2 power supplies) were a few feet long so I have them in the stand. Did it come with a brown power cord? How are you liking the light?

nope mine didn't :( But all that aside.... the lights are freaking amazing! The amount of shimmer is also nuts! Ha ha. But dang it sure adds great color to all the coral. And I can tell they love it. Much better then the PC bulbs. :)

OtsegoHeliGuy

Looks great! I'm patiently waiting for the man in brown to drop off a retrofit for my 14 that I'm putting together. I'm thinking I made a good choice!

Mushroom Boy,

When you ordered, you only changed the color right? The stock kit comes with

18- Royal Blue Luxeon ES 3 watt LEDs

10- 5,000K Neutral White Luxeon ES 3 watt LEDs

You changed that to

16 Royal

7 4K

5 Cool Blue

I assume you wired the 16 all together and the 4k and Cool Blue together?

Also, did you have to order any additional parts? If so, what?

Thanks in advance! John

OtsegoHeliGuy

I'm sorry to hijack your thread, but does your guy's heatsink fan turn on right away when you power it up? My lights for a 14 Cube come on (wow they are bright!), but fan does not go. It doesn't turn that freely either.

Thanks

jedimasterben
I'm sorry to hijack your thread, but does your guy's heatsink fan turn on right away when you power it up? My lights for a 14 Cube come on (wow they are bright!), but fan does not go. It doesn't turn that freely either.

Thanks

I have mine running on a separate 10v power supply dedicated to it, so I'm not sure. How is it wired?

OtsegoHeliGuy

Just like Mushroom Boys pic in post 28 of this thread. Going to grab the multimeter to see if it's getting juice.

Edit-----It's getting juice. It must be dead.

Mushroom Boy,

When you ordered, you only changed the color right? The stock kit comes with

18- Royal Blue Luxeon ES 3 watt LEDs

10- 5,000K Neutral White Luxeon ES 3 watt LEDs

You changed that to

16 Royal

7 4K

5 Cool Blue

I assume you wired the 16 all together and the 4k and Cool Blue together?

Also, did you have to order any additional parts? If so, what?

Thanks in advance! John

Correct on the color. I had Steve's assemble it for me and it's wired so that 14 of the royal blues are on one and the remaining are on the other.

The only additional parts that I had to order was another power supply and power cord so I could have independent power control (I don't have a controller).

My fan does come on when the blue lights come on, and it's extremely quiet.

• Like 1

Archived