Top Shelf Aquatics

70 watt MH ballast options?

jasontatro

Alright, so let's break it down. What are all of the options readily available for 70 watt MH ballasts? I know of the following:

Aromat - pretty good from what I hear

WPI- pretty ######e from what I hear

I have heard talk of a new ballast from Advance that is supposed to be the shiznit. Anyone know anything about it?

Anything else available out there?

The ballast in my 20" CCSL is a WPI EM85-120-S01 which I am very satified with. Lately, I've been seeing these WPI EM90-120-S03 100w ballast going around on eBay. I'm not sure (chime in someone...) if these are just the new "replacement" model of the EM85 ??

Aromat recently released their replacement to the 3-EUF ballast, the 5 -EUF which supposely runs cooler, uses less power, alows for futher mounting distances, etc. I wonder if this EM90 is WPI's new model just like Aromat did. BTW, I have 2 of the 3-EUF ballast and my very happy with them too!:P These are going in my 30" CSL in the next day or 2...;)

FWIW, Advance makes an electronic 70w ballast (got 'em too!)that is actually both 70/100 watts and 120V/277V ...but the one I've got says right on the label, "FOR SINGLE ENDED BULBS ONLY!" Another source told me the new WPI EM90 may fire SE bulbs only like the 6500k 70w Iwasaki. I'm hoping (wishing)maybe the EM90 is just the same as the EM85...but so far, doesn't look good.

Lastly, I think Advance also makes a new slim 70/100w ballast too...simular to the WPI or Aromat.... hmmmm....

Archived