ReefCleaners.org

What do you think for this start?

MGXsport

I have been floating around for a few months reading and I am going to start a 10g Nano in a free tank I have. :D

Here is what I am thinking of having going in the tank for some weeks:

SW from LFS (Not sure if they have it because they are in the process of moving a block down the street. If not I guess I could get some water from the store.)

10# of LS

13# of LR

Coralife 96watt 20" (I believe this is what I was looking while at the LFS)

powerhead (Not sure what I will get yet advice please :) )

and a 50watt submersible heater.

Would this be a way to go?

I was thinking about adding a few corals and some shrimp or snails after the few weeks of cycles and then a clownfish and some sort of gobie. Those are two of my favorite types of SW fish any advice on which clowns and gobies to get?

Also I couldn't check out the light that well but does this sit on the rim of the tank, or will I have to take some plexi from work to get it something to sit on?

Thanks,

Chris

sounds good, that much light sounds like it might be overkill for a ten gallon if you're a newbie. I started out with 65 watts on my 20g and never even hooked up my 36w I bought in addition to it, everything does fine with 65 (its mostly softies, with porites and a couple lps, all splitting/growing nicely). I use maxijet powerheads, they work fine. Stay away from maroon/tomatoe clowns, they get big. A lot of people on here like clown gobies and ocellaris clowns for their nanos, good luck

Stick with a minijet or ehiem powerhead. Don't buy one of the new maxijets. They're complete garbage. The older ones work well, but the new ones have a problem where they seize up and you can't fix them.

I would get ocellaris (false percula) clownfish. They stay small and they have a good temperment. As for gobies - as long as you stay away from sand sifters and mandarins you should be fine.

I disagree that 96 watts will be too much light. Just use good light acclimation procedures. Better to have too much light than not enough, IMO.

If you haven't bought the light yet from your LFS, look around, you can find it for $88.69 - wont mention where (PM me for more info), and hellolights.com advertises that they will beat this price.

It'd save you the 60-80 bucks the LFS would add on to that price. They had this fixture selling for $165.99 at one of my LFS.

And as long as we're talking lighting for a 10 gallon check out the CSL 2x40w (I know where they're selling new ones online for 99.00)

The light I was looking at was indeed the Coralife 96watts. The LFS had it at $110. I think they are trying to get rid of things so they don't have to move as much because the price continues to drop.

Also,both the guys at the LFS said that 10# of LS wasn't needed and I should stick to around 6-8# so I can keep away from gas build up on the bottom of the sand.

Thanks for the help.

Take a good look at the CSL fixture, a lot of people prefer it to the coralife. I've been trying to decide which light to get for the past three weeks.

I keep hearing about the CSL but I think I am going to go with the coralife with all the things I read about them. Also because of the ease of being able to go down the street during lunch and picking stuff up for a competitive price.

I took the first little step and purchased:

50 watt heater

Penguin powerhead

and digital Thermometer

To bad the cell phone bill came and I was just a few hours :o over and mostly long distance calls. So most of my fish money is going to have to go to that bill :(

So lights, rock, and sand will be next week :)

AnthonyNguyen

dood, i used to have 96 W corolife light, its fit perfect in the 10 G, and its about right amout of lighting , dood, you can put any coral you want man. i'm using 2x96 W coral life. for my 20 L right now, and man its looking great, every coral seem to be really happy.

I am always at Blue Sierra for my FW tanks but when I asked for advice on SW they kind of brushed me off :rant: like I wasn't capable to handle the extremeness of SW :rolleyes:

I have turned to Salt Water City to be my provider because they have answered all my questions and they have all been above par answers. :)

Thanks for the help great group here and I have noticed a lot of locals :)

Chris

Archived