Pod Your Reef

Not happy with Chaeto growth, at all

nanoreefsurf

So i have had the sump with refugium up and running for about 2 months. Im not seeing really any growth of Chaeto since then. I am doing a reverse light cycle with a 15 watt compact flourescent with one of those dome fixtures from home depot.

The tank is a 40 breeder with a 20g sump. The refugium has live rock rubble and the chaeto that isnt growing. I also have not noticed any pods in the chaeto or refugium. Should I be seeing them by now?

I have a really powerful skimmer so do you think I should just do that and do away with the refugium?

What are your Nitrates and Phosphates? Any algae problems?

If you chaeto isn't actively growing I'd say congrats on having a low nutrient tank = a good thing.

I have the same setup but my light is a flourecent flood light , 5000k, not sure of wattage, that i run reverse cycle and my golf ball size cheato is now almost the size of a tennis ball in 2 weeks.

Also bought light at Home Depot

stocking is only a flame angel, a small clown, and a hectors goby.

Last week, I noticed some algae starting up on some of the rock. It looks like bryopsis which scares me. I will now test nitrates to see whats up. I will monitor the chaeto now to see if it responds differently since the new addition of the unwanted algae in the display.

Thanks for the replies!

Chris

If it is bryopsis then check your Mag and do some reading up on Mag / Bryopsis.

And +1 to prob not enough nutrients in the tank to grow it.

^ a good thing.

From my understanding, corals (SPS) do best in a low nutrient plankton rich environment.

so, if you nutrients are low and STAY LOW ( Trate / Phos ) and ya feed your fish a little more or spot feed your corals or both...imo...your good to go.

a quick read

So i have had the sump with refugium up and running for about 2 months. Im not seeing really any growth of Chaeto since then. I am doing a reverse light cycle with a 15 watt compact flourescent with one of those dome fixtures from home depot.

The tank is a 40 breeder with a 20g sump. The refugium has live rock rubble and the chaeto that isnt growing. I also have not noticed any pods in the chaeto or refugium. Should I be seeing them by now?

I have a really powerful skimmer so do you think I should just do that and do away with the refugium?

light is too weak, put this guy in that fixture and see what changes next month:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg2...catalogId=10053

Archived