Pod Your Reef

Is my tank ready for coral?

fattail95

Hi there guys!

I would like to get some coral for my tank in my next journey to the lfs, I have just tested my water and here are the results!

pH: 8.0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Ammonia: 0

Phosphate: 0

Calcium: 500ppm

Carbonate Hardness: 11dKH

Salinity: 1.023/1.024

To me, these parameters look great!

Thanks for your help!

Ben.

Tank finished cycling a while ago. Tank is about 2 months old. I've got 4 nassaris snails in there, 2 turbos, 2 true percs and a purple firefish. My lighting is 2x 6700k 140 lumen led bulbs. I'm going to be adding a 50/50 in there soon and am only looking at soft and easy to keep corals, what would be your recommendation?

Zaos and mushrooms , and yellow colony polyps. Doesn't get ant easier than that. :D They can take a beating with nitrates too . But , you won't have that problem because your testing! Just messing with you. I test too! Oh, they'll tolirate you 8.0 ph too. I would try to bring it up tp 8.2 to 8.3 though. IMO, 8.0 is border line for soft corals. I Now, Hard corals , I'd go 8.3 to8.4

How would pulsing xenia do in this water? I REALLY want to get this coral!

I have got a pH buffer that'll take it to 8.3 if that would help it!

Benji

EDIT: I've recently switched to instant oceans salt which has a higher ph than my previous salt... The water i have mixed w/Instant Oceans is 8.3/8.4. So i'll be gradually bringing it up over time to around 8.3.

The xenia will be fine just be aware that it will take over fast. This thing will grow like a weed and once it starts it does not stop. It will even grow on your glass then you scrape it off and grows back.

Zaos and mushrooms , and yellow colony polyps ...

I'm not really a fan of these corals, I don't mind mushies, but I would rather something nicer...

Does anyone have any more suggestions as to corals...?

I'm not really a fan of these corals, I don't mind mushies, but I would rather something nicer...

Does anyone have any more suggestions as to corals...?

Anyone?

yeah that about covers it for the softies... frogspawn is an easier LPS, also hammer coral. You need to wait a little longer before getting into some of the more expensive stuff IMO.. also ditch the 6700k spectrum bulbs altogether, great at growing algae, sucky for growing coral.

Archived