Pod Your Reef

Weird slime algae

NanoAmyDee

We set up a 20 gallon last week. It is 6 days into its cycle. There is approx 20 pounds of bagged gravel with 1 lb of LS over the top, 36 lbs of LR, 20 snails and 10 crabs...and lots of worms that came with the rock. Our ammonia spike started approx 3 -4 days ago, everything else is balanced. Temp is a constant 78 and the lighting is PC running for approx 12 hours a day.

Ok...I have some weird gross white/clear slime forming on the rocks and on the sand bed. There seems to be a very thin stalk and then what looks like clear leaves or "feathers" coming from it. I tried to take a pic but the pics aren't showing it. It is slimey and sticky. What the heck is this?? Should I be worried?? I have never seen this stuff on my previous tanks? There is very little other algae except for the stuff that came on the rocks.

Help.

A picture, no matter how hard to shoot, would really help in this regard.

Personally, I wouldn't be worried at this point. It could be anything from a true algae to bacteria to a fungus. With a tank so new, and with LR still curing away, I wouldn't put it past any of the three. Without a picture, it could also be invertebrate related, as corals are known to wax/slime from time to time, or the arms could be nematode worms or even young brittlestar arms (feathery).

You have a full janitor crew in the tank, so i'd just watch and keep an eye on it and keep trying to identify it. If you can scoop it up with a fish net, you can try that and taking a picture.

If I took my best guess, i'd say it's related to the LR still curing. My bet is that it will also clear up when the tank starts finishing it's cycling. I wouldn't necessarily panic at this point.

If it's fungus/death related (creatures dying in the LR from being exposed to air during transport), you will probably see an explosion of copepods (little flea like shrimps) and amphipods in a week or two. If it's bacterially related or coral wax/slime related, it'll gradually break down or turn colors on you. Most cyanobacteria are rust red and slimy looking. Your janitors should help eat it, or you can use a reef safe product like "erace" when you're sure that it is cyanobacteria.

I'd just let it sit and ride it out.

Ok...pictures just aren't coming out. It is too transparent. If I try and scoop it out it just sticks to the sand and I end up with a clump of slimy sand. (ew) :P

My best guess is die-off of some sort from the cycling. We'll see if it gets out of hand or not.

Thanks for the advice!!

Archived