Innovative Marine Aquariums

Biocube 29G 42 LED Build

jfarabaugh

Any updates? New growth under the led's?

I will have to post some updated pictures but the growth is pretty awesome. I lost some of the red color in my zoas that are up towards the top right corner only because they are sitting in 400 + Par. Everything has kept their color and or colored up even more.

• 2 months later...

nice tank...led set up is sick...i just set up my BC29 and seeing this made me already upgrade to leds...does your set up have moon lights?

Very nice light! I'm trying to figure out a good color combination right now for my tank which is 24w by 24 deep and I'm thinking i should really add a violet in my setup from what I see here...

This is what I'm planning so far:

18 Royal blue

10 neutral white (warm?)

2 Blue

Maybe 1 violet?

jfarabaugh
nice tank...led set up is sick...i just set up my BC29 and seeing this made me already upgrade to leds...does your set up have moon lights?

no moonlights.... maybe down the road. you could easily reuse the bc29 moon lights

Very nice light! I'm trying to figure out a good color combination right now for my tank which is 24w by 24 deep and I'm thinking i should really add a violet in my setup from what I see here...

This is what I'm planning so far:

18 Royal blue

10 neutral white (warm?)

2 Blue

Maybe 1 violet?

neutral

i would add 2 or more violets just for even coverage. if you are going to run optics dont run them on the blue and the violet

thanks for the comments everyone. I had some type of infection run through my tank and it took out all of my monts, my trac, and my babies breath. But the tank is coming back now. I will post some new pics next week maybe.

• 7 months later...
curious, whats the dimensions on that heatsink and where did you get it? also, how did you mount the heatsink to your bc29? im looking to do the same, but am looking for some guidance.

I know this was done a while ago, but nanotuners is no longer around, any chance one of you have the dimensions of the NT heatsink???

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am not ecstatic about the output according to the PAR meter but hopefully someone with more knowledge then myself can tell me if these are good numbers or not. The lack of optics and the diffuser and hurting the overall output but I am very happy with the fact that I have no color shadows and outstanding color blending. I am hoping that these numbers are good enough for what I have in the tank. Actually everything you see in the tank has all grown significantly (2-3 times original size) under just 3 PC-Rs and this new setup is much much brighter. I would really like to put a clam in the area of my large GSP on the sand bed in the front of the tank. I am hoping that 140will be strong enough ?

At first I thought it was the diffuser killing my output but after removing it I realized that it is the lack of optics hurting me more.

Thanks for posting such an awesome build! :D Big help to people like myself trying to do the full spectrum thing. Not to mention, it looks dope! (You already knew that though :P )

Anyways, I know you were looking for some input on PAR for keeping clams ....I have a copy of "Coral and Reef USA" magazine (Vol. #1, 2012) and there is a section on recommended PAR values for different reef critters. As far as clams, it states the following:

Tridacna Clams 300-800

T. dersa 100-800

T. gigas 100-800

T. maxima 300-800

It also mentions:

(These are approximations b/c there are various species and forms in each genus that can be more or less tolerant of light) I hope this is helpful! Also, I'd be happy to post the rest of this list ( it includes stony corals species and anemones) if anyone else needs it.

• 1 year later...

Archived