inTank Media Baskets

JBJ nanocube quad

bird

I was really disappointed with the quad bulb that comes in the 28gl set up.

Reconsider before spending money on this tank.

The tank itself seems well built but with the quad bulb half your tank will be bathed in blue and the other half white because of the way the bulb is configured.

Really stupid that it is 4 PC built into one and two side by side are white and the other 2 blue.

It would have been better to have the end ones blue or vise/versa.

So now I retrofit the tank with something else unless I want to spend $300 for an upgrade to MH from JBJ.

I was really disappointed with the quad bulb that comes in the 28gl set up.

Reconsider before spending money on this tank.

The tank itself seems well built but with the quad bulb half your tank will be bathed in blue and the other half white because of the way the bulb is configured.

Really stupid that it is 4 PC built into one and two side by side are white and the other 2 blue.

It would have been better to have the end ones blue or vise/versa.

So now I retrofit the tank with something else unless I want to spend $300 for an upgrade to MH from JBJ.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on this one - aside from the odd bulb color config is there sufficient light?

not for corals, at least anything but low light. It is bright but the spectrum does not look right, at least from my experience with PC bulbs.

I first went through VHO, then PC before becoming a MH fan.

I would think it OK for corals that you are not concerned with their colors. GSP, mushrooms, stuff like that but certainly not for sps, zoanthids, anemones, clams, acans, blastos, etc.

JMO though, I only ran the bulb for a short time and then only had a few things in there. Did do a good job of starting hair algae which I have been fortunate enough to never had become problematic.

It sprung up on some rock but went away almost overnight once I switched to MH.

I think the light would be great if you wanted to keep algae eating fish. Seriously, not trying to be sarcastic about the bulb.

Would probably be a fantastic light over a refugium. Intense for its size and a good spectrum for growing algae.

I had considered the LED set up but there is no way to dim. Either all on or all off.

Go with the MH setup if you want a Nanocube.

I had considered the LED set up but there is no way to dim. Either all on or all off.

Go with the MH setup if you want a Nanocube.

The feedback from the peanut gallery is the MH version - especially with bulb in-hood that close to the water - would require a chiller almost 24/7.. decisions, decisions

The feedback from the peanut gallery is the MH version - especially with bulb in-hood that close to the water - would require a chiller almost 24/7.. decisions, decisions

I haven't had to have one yet. But I do have a 2gl refugium that is slightly higher than the tank that has water from the back tank chamber pumped into it and then a bulkhead return back to the back chamber. A 4" fan sits over the fuge and with a temp controller (reefkeeper) I keep the tank between 79F-80F. But this is winter time and in the summer I am sure I will need a chiller.

I would think that about any well-lit close hooded nano would need a chiller in the summer unless kept in a cooled room.

As far as the heat from the MH goes, I have constantly been checking the top of the hood which is hot but not hot enough that I can't keep my hand pressed to it. The glass shield below the light is super hot directly beneath it but with the built in fans going the edges of the glass shield are actually cool to the touch.

The price is definitely right just now for one of the MH models - I saw one for $299. I popped for the CF-QUAD. For the inevitable lighting upgrade I have my eye on the Prism AC fixtures from Unique LED Lighting. I hope to avoid the need for a chiller forever if possible

• 1 month later...
Northern Enlighted

One of the display tanks at the marine shop I frequent has a JBJ 28g LED on display and they have just about everything in it to showcase what corals it will support. It's been up for quite a while now and they say they have had no problems with the lighting vs. the livestock. They are very nice tanks also, built in everything minus the UV sterilizer, wave maker, actinic lighting, etc. I am actually considering one for a small coral/isolation tank. The MH one the other hand I have heard requires a light chiller, fan upgrade, or a cool ambient house temperature to keep the reef from exceeding 82 deg far. Many people say this is the only issue vs. the LED model. Obviously this is probably why they made the LED model. SO if you get the MH and want to use it seriously, look to go with a cooling upgrade.

Hey bird, the folks over at JBJ are really great. I would consider calling thier customer service and see if you can trade in your quad hood for a upgrade to MH or LED maybe with a small price upgrade...never know...lots of companies in this economy will replace your product for one you would be happier with beside you going with another brand and giving them a bad rep. JBJ is commercial lighting company and I am sure they would deal with your purchase.

• 3 months later...

Have had the JBJ nc 28 for 2+ years now. I purchased it with the MH hood. It definitely gets hot. I did not have a chiller and was determined not to have to buy one, so I would prop the hood open a few inches to help with cooling. That looked terrible, so I resorted to a fan blowing across the open filter section in the back. This kept the temp within a manageable range, but I eventually did away with the stock hood and replaced the light with nanocustoms Par38 LEDs. Am much happier now.

• 1 month later...

With fans, you can probably keep the 28 HQI at a reasonable temp. It will most likely be at the upper end of what you want, but I keep mine from 79 - 81 using only fans. I have the 150Mh bulb and the reeftuners 2x18 actinic upgrade running at the same time.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the review. i'll bring this one back to the top.

Just got mine yesterday, drsfostersmith had them on sale for $299 with stand & free shipping...couldn't pass that up, although the stand is less than impressive.

I'll be thinking about a lighting upgrade soon. Any suggestions?

-ZIGPHOTO

• 2 weeks later...

i was able to keep some lps towards the bottom of the tank and a montipora at the top of the tank(a jbj28 guad) and they all grew just fine for a couple years till i upgraded to LED currently and now they are still going fine. even more sps.

Archived