Pod Your Reef

Opinions on 2x65 Watt 30" CustomSeaLife PC w/Moonlight

digz

Yeah..... but he has not bought the hood yet. Why spend $170 on a hood and then have to put another $100 modding it? For that money he could just build a nice MH hood right from the start.

My $.02

Reefer_Buddha

ya he could then he could search around for a 20k 70w (good luck) or buy actinic bulbs for supplementation. MH w/ actinic is the best way to go anyway, might as well spend the money now and not worry about upgrading. He could do pcs now and when he wants to upgrade he can have the hood right there ready to mod. Skimping on lights is the worst mistake imo. Halide is the shizzle anyway :P

heh, seems to be some confusion on my question, let me clarify.

I was wondering if I that setup 130 watt PC (10k + actinic)@ that price was a good deal, OR, if I should invest my money into a DIY MH setup instead. I thought the moon lights where a nice insentive though.

Jason - can you keep a large range of corals under your lights? (20 gallon : 65 watts 10k ~ 3.0 watts per gallon + 65 actinic or I could replace with another 10k ~ 20k compact)

But from what you've guys said so far is that MH would be best? Will there be THAT much of a difference between the two?

Digz,

I bought the CSL hood and have been kicking myself ever since. Don't get me wrong, it is a great hood. I just am now regretting not putting the money into MH right off the bat. I always thought that MH was way out of my price range... now I am finding out that I could have gotten into MH for a little bit more money.

So... that said, it's up to you. I am going to be switching over to MH very soon here. Reason being is that I would like to keep healthy SPS in the future. Plus... as everyone will tell you, the shimmer from MH's is the bomb.

I have pictures in the members setups under londonaussie.

For soft corals they are more than enough. I haven't tried any clams or sps yet. But I am happy with it. The fan can be quieter though. For a tank of my depth the corals get more than enough for what i have.

it would probably be less hot then a Mh if you have heat issues like me.

cheers.

Originally posted by jasontatro

Yeah..... but he has not bought the hood yet.  Why spend $170 on a hood and then have to put another $100 modding it?  For that money he could just build a nice MH hood right from the start.

My $.02

YES I DID BUY IT! AND YES I DO HAVE IT!:P AND YES I AM DOING IT! AND WHY AM I? WHY WOULD I? WHY ASK WHY!!??!! :P:P:P

CSL 30" $165

1 65w Actinic bulb $ 20

2 Aromat Ballasts $ 50

2 Ushio 10KK bulb $100

2 Regent sockets $ 20

i total it somewhere around $350+ :) i say... why not! Not wanting to use wood, I found this light to be the sleekest design, plus it's easy to work on. oh, and sorry not yelling...just talking loud...getting excited!:)

buddha---turkey, your mailbox is full:P

ok, heres the dilly on the glass. there are many different types of UV glass...I believe 8 varieties in all. Some do more than others. I have this printout describing the variations and I hope to be able to scan it tonite when i get home for you to see.

well, you see, i'm not really sure EXACTLY what kind of glass i need. i basically told the glass shop i needed uv filter glass and now they got 3 different types in stock.

gettin it tonite...:P

So... Im going to pick it up then. Im peicing together a new 20 gallon tank (which might not go up for a year).

So, my future tank will be 20 gallons, HOB fuge (which I will have to talk to you Mr. Buddha about), and the 130 watts of PC.

...the glass guy is now talking Greek to me...:P

he just asked me what kind of curve i need... i told him i need smooth curves so I don't cut myself :P LOL...huh?!!?

Archived