Innovative Marine Aquariums

Warning about jbjcube upgrades

aj2001

Just thought I'd pass this on just in case, who knows I may be the only one, but I added 2 13 watters a few weeks back in addition to the stock 24watts. Temp in the tank has only risin by a degree, so I was thinking it was all set........

Then I looked at the light cover and realized that its melting....bubbles and starting to bow downward a good 1/4".

Lights are set:

13 watt blue on 8am off 9am and on 8pm off 9pm

13watt 65k and 24 wt on 8:30 off 8:30

Guess its back to the drawing board.

I just brought my cube up to 88watts...

I've installed 1 large cpu fan in the back (will add another)

also 6 small 30x30mm cpu fans inside the hood between the

abs plastic and metal reflector. I drilled lots of vent holes in the hood and in the plastic splash guard....

So far no melting...

I do have a large fan on the cube too so this may be helping the cooling too.... I will turn this off at some point and keep an eye on things..

Andre

static69static

Well I added a 32 watter to mine, I also have a fan, but never use it anymore, tank stays at 82 and no melting problems. Your lights are probably really close or on the clear protection cover. That might be the reason you are getting the bubbles and melting

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 x 24 Watts in my nano cube. The lights sit close to the clear platic cover. As a result, it has cracked and warped. No worries, I just have one of the cooling fans, that i have placed in the back, on every time the light is on. The air blowing across the top of the water keeps everything cool.

i had mine at 80 watts (2x28 + 1x24) with no warps or melting, and am now just running 2x28 without any signs of problems...must be a freak hood or an older one...

Archived