Pod Your Reef

My experience with my ReefKeeper Light

Pilg0re

Alright so for my birthday I asked for a Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lite with the ALC (advanced light controller) to control my DIY LED's

I've read some reviews online and saw that some people have had some bad experiences and I thought I'd chime in on my experience. I may not need it to do super advanced things, so I figured my review may help people like me who are curious about this.

When I opened the box I turned it on just to make sure everything worked, and it did. But it seemed my RKL head unit was waaaayyy out of date, like 1.03 out of date. So much so that the myreef application couldn't recognize it, but a little googling got it up to date. Other than that updating all of the other modules was a piece of cake.

Setup of the heater, pumps, and my fuge light was easy and pretty intuitive despite the lack of any sort of useful documentation. That being said the forum is very useful, and with some simple searching it solved all of my problems.

Once I wired my LEDS up they ramped up normally and the moonlight comes on when expected.

Out of all the negative reviews I read, I figured I'd share my positive experience and not to be too afraid when purchasing this.

I own an RKL as well. Not the LED version as I use MH+T5.

I'll second my positive experience with my unit / the DA Forums.

I've had no problems other than I wanna upgrade to an RKL Elite ... lol

Setting up the dosing programs took a few tries, but I got it.

• 2 weeks later...
burtbollinger

I love my RKL...did tons of research before purchase...and I did not see a lot of negative reviews...only people who didn't quite have a grasp on programming yet.

Its a great product and for under 99, its a no-brainer.

Its a great product and for under 99, its a no-brainer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have been running my RKL going on 2 years and I am still impressed! :happy:

burtbollinger

It runs my MH, my T5s, my heater, and my cooling fan....all fully automatic, set and forget...and the temps are rock solid within @ .3 degrees. Thats worth a 100 spot right there :)

It controls my NEP (Day/Night)(Sunrise/Sunset) modes, Heater 78.5deg- Off/On at (+/- 0.1), Turns off my MP10 @ 12am, back on at 12pm when my Sunrise turns on… B)

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to say that so far my RKL has been easy to program and worked flawlessly. The only issue I have is that the itemp probe seems to be reading about 2degrees higher than any thermometer I use...dont get that. Now if glennr replies to my pm I will venture towards setting up an auto doser using aqualifters!

Archived