Cultivated Reef

I think it's a macroalgae...

Wence

In September, I noticed a small bit of red growing out of the corner of the rock my larger Blastomussa colony was on. Since then, it has grown exponentially and has spread to a few other spots when I've broken pieces of it off accidentally while cleaning (inlcluding about a third of it a couple weeks ago). It grows VERY fast and can be taken out of the water without any problems (I haven't taken the main piece out, but have experimented with some of the stray bits). Here's a picture of the largest original part of it in the tank (if you check the FTS in my tank thread, you can see it start to appear as a nub in September and the exponential growth between October and December):

FLCU27NOV10.jpg

Any idea what it is? I have a Tuxedo Urhin that has thus far ignored it completely.

r3dpho3n1x, it is made up of leafy pieces that are lavendar with the bright red at the edges. I've seen green bubble algae, and if red is similar, this is definitely not it (my Emerald Crab doesn't bother it either). It feels like a sponge (squishy and soft, but not slimy), but is OK out of water. The leaves will adhere to new spots if they are strapped down for a few days or wedge in somewhere out of a current (there's a lot of it growing mixed in with my green buton polyps at th back left). I'm just bummed the blasto colony it shares a rock with got damaged while I was away.

Nemastoma :)

Beautiful!

That's definitely it. Thanks Yoshii!

Congrats if it is. Looks nice. Does it deflate or close up at night?

No, it never shrinks, and other than growing like crazy stays the same size night and day.

Archived