inTank Media Baskets

Heifinator's Biocube 14g

heifinator

qwiksilver711
Thats what I am hoping but my levels have all stabilized completely and its still growing. Ive reduced my light cycle and done small water changes.

I am completely at odds with it. Its almost 2 inches long is some areas.

i know its a bandaid but i pick the long stuff off with some forceps... i've heard emerald crabs are good with that stuff... i'm not sure how you feel about crabs, some people are anti crabs.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Between 0 and 0.25ppm

I would honestly say it was 0 if I had to chose. I'm only running the lights 6 hours a day right now.

I removed all the hair algae a few days ago manually and its not growing back. The crabs are taking care of it or its not growing so all is good!

Today I went and got myself a clown fish and a mushroom. The clown fish is acclimating right now along with the mushroom. Had a quick question

The mushroom came on a fairly large rock (3x3 or so) and this time its no problem but if I keep getting coral on large rocks I'm going to run out of space! Is it possible to move mushrooms to other rocks. I know they grow back from nothing and I would probably end up with 2 but I am just curious =)

qwiksilver711
I removed all the hair algae a few days ago manually and its not growing back. The crabs are taking care of it or its not growing so all is good!

Today I went and got myself a clown fish and a mushroom. The clown fish is acclimating right now along with the mushroom. Had a quick question

The mushroom came on a fairly large rock (3x3 or so) and this time its no problem but if I keep getting coral on large rocks I'm going to run out of space! Is it possible to move mushrooms to other rocks. I know they grow back from nothing and I would probably end up with 2 but I am just curious =)

from what i understand and have read, you can just cut the mushroom off the current rock and glue, or rubber band it to the rock you want it on. i hear glue doenst work as well with mushrooms cuz they are slimy, but that rubber bands work pretty good to hold them to where u want them until they attach

Edit: btw grats on the algae removal, i'm still battling mine, but i dont have the patience to remove it all, trying other methods here coming up soon, i'm going to try peroxide on one rock tonight, and here come early feb when i get an ro/di system i'm going to try to start doing daily 1-2 gallon water changes and see what effect that has on my tank

What I did was just scrub the long stuff off with a toothbrush and then siphon the algae out. Then dump the water through a net into a bucket, then put it back =) Worked very well. Then the crabs went at the short stuff!

Ok I was told reef epoxy wouldn't work cause of how slimy they are.

Clownfish is doing well. Hes still doing the typical swim up and down in a corner things. Hopefully he gets more brave soon. He was fed today and ate well. Although the food I'm using sinks and he misses a lot of it. The snails seem to like it oddly enough.

The mushroom has opened up. i may get some more coral soon as long as it continues to do well!

Clownfish has been named Poseidon. Sorry for the blur. Its hard to get a picture when hes hiding in the corner!

img0365j.jpg

Question!

I have some new life spectrum food for the clown. I fed him today and he ate with no problem (still stays in his corner). But the pellets sink so fast he only gets like 2. Then the crabs jump all over the pellets on the bottom (clown has no interest in them at that point).

What is a food option that sinks slower and gives him an opportunity to eat. I don't want to over feed and I also don't want to starve my poor fish.

January 26 2011

Last night I bought some hammer coral, a large piece of starburst polyps and a cleaner shrimp. Its been about 12 hours and everything is looking good. The cleaner shrimp is still hiding upside down on a rock. I hurt the hammer coral a little bit accidentally but it seems to have recovered mostly.

Starburst Polyps

img0376d.jpg

Poseidon the clown, still in his corner...

img0386sq.jpg

I almost didn't buy crabs. Very glad I did, they are well behaved.

img0387r.jpg

Hammer coral. I have it in a good spot. 3 inches or more from anything else. My LFS had it within an inch of a bunch of less aggressive corals for weeks and it behaved.

img0389sk.jpg

Pierre the cleaner shrimp. Sorry about the picture. Hard angle to get!

img0394ea.jpg

qwiksilver711

My old cleaner loved hanging like that all day. He would come out for food or if I put my hand uin the tank he would clean it.

Its odd cause at my LFS he was really active. It doesn't bother me though. I assume its probably because he is a new addition.

If the worst thing I have to worry about is a shy shrimp then I will accept that!

What would you suggest? I also heard its good to give them sheets of seaweed occasionally.

Personally I use hikari mysis frozen cubes and ocean nutrition formula two frozen cubes. Put a little of each together and 1ml of garlic and feed my fish after 15mins. Lets the garlic soak in the food. Then feed reef nutrition phto feast 1/2 cap to my corals.

I do this every other day and phyto 2-3 times a week

Getting ready to add a wheelers goby. I have fairly fine sand but it has a lot of large chunks in it. Will the goby be able to find a place to make a burrow or should I provide a PVC house.

• 1 month later...

Been a long time since I updated!

I have been fighting Bryopsis sp.and Gelidium. Successfully for the most part. It is still there but I have it to a manageable state for now. I'm planning on getting a 5 gallon QT tank setup, adding some water from my main tank to it. Then I plan to move all my corals / fish / inverts into the QT tank and clean my rock and sand completely. Then if I see even a tiny bit of algae over the next few days I will take it out. I have some phosban on the way. Although I am showing 0 phosphates as usual.

I bought a "watchman goby" a few weeks back but I think its something else because it has dark tiger stripes on it. Check pictures, maybe you know what it is =)

Then yesterday I bought a bunch of coral and my last fish... =( A six line wrasse. I think I will be upgrading to a 46L this summer. Until then I just am planning on adding a clam, some more coral and that's about it!

Here are pictures on March 7th.

img0456hv.jpg

img0459uo.jpg

img0460y.jpg

Just found out I will be getting a clam friday. I have the 3.24 lighting upgrade so I think I will be ok light-wise.

They like med flow / high light correct?

I spent 4 hours removing all of my livestock. Manually cleaning all of my rock of any algae, then re-scaping. I tried to scape it in a way to give me more room for corals. Made the cave a little smaller, and made the top shelf larger. Not sure if I like it as much, but I will when I have more coral =)

All livestock is back in the tank, healthy and happy!

Pictures coming soon.

More updates.

Also, I'm looking to buy a larger tank (used). somewhere between 29 - 50g. If anyone has one let me know =)

img0489ytg.jpg

img0499h.jpg

img0493di.jpg

img0494nv.jpg

img0497e.jpg

img0498o.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions for a brand of cube?

Preferably not an AIO. I plan on doing a sump. Looking between 34 - 50 gallons. Something really clear and a reputable brand =)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I jut spent about 20 mins going through your entire thread.... Looking good! Tons of questions I've had were answered!

Great job!

I rid myself of my algae problem and re-scaped my rock.

Sadly I think it stressed my shrimp out to much and he seems to have disappeared. =(

R.I.P Poseidon
img0394ea.jpg

In other less sad news everything is looking really good and healthy. The algae is going and doesn't seem to be coming back. I've been staying on top of manual removal and been dosing Tech-M.

Pics coming soon.

Archived